Should I apply now or wait?

not

not
  • Applicant

OK so heres my situation: 

• Transferred faculties (my second year was 40 credits and the grades were not good) 
    • Current cumulative gpa: 79%, but credits for first year after transferring (88%)
  • 1st lsat score: 160
  • 3 semesters remaining around 39 credits. 

I plan to graduate in Dec 2023, and I know I could raise my gpa a lot more and can probably raise my score for the LSAT to 165+ (I was super nervous test day). 

However, with my current stats - is it worth to try applying this cycle? are there schools that I have a chance at - or should i wait to be more competitive at other schools?

Also, is there even a deferral process? I would like to finish my BA first. 

Edited by not

Archaeolaw
  • Law Student

If you want to finish your degree and you believe that you'll have a stronger application next cycle, I think the answer is to wait. There is a deferral process, but I believe most schools (if not all) only offer deferrals for emergencies/compassionate reasons. 

Whist
  • Law Student

I don't know what the credit system/year promotion is at your school, but with three semesters left you may still be considered as if you were applying during third year. This can affect how you're evaluated - some schools, if you're applying as a second or third year, have a higher admission threshold that sets you at a disadvantage. Some schools won't allow entry at all unless you'll have finished your degree before starting law school, so check the websites of the schools of interest to make sure if you decide to proceed applying this year. At Ontario universities you can finish a Bachelors in three years so bear that in mind as well. Additionally, your grades would have to be converted to a 4.0 or 4.3 system depending on the schools of interest in order to gauge your chances as they are now with the 160. 

I would suggest waiting to apply until next year so you can finish your BA. Deferrals are usually for emergencies or unforeseen difficulties, so they likely wouldn't give you one just so you could finish.