End of Articling Limbo (BC)

shostakovich

shostakovich
  • Lawyer

Not sure if this properly belongs in the lawyer chat or articling… (which actually mirrors the topic of this post).

BC lawyers: I’m wondering about the end of articles. Was anyone else left in limbo after completing all the articling requirements but before hearing back from LSBC about your call application? My anticipated call date was yesterday but I haven’t heard anything about my application package (which was submitted more than a month ago). I’ve followed up with them twice, but crickets. I don’t mind if it’s taking a bit longer but not knowing or hearing anything whatsoever is unsettling. My anxious brain is convinced there is something wrong of course. I’m sure all is good, but I do find it a bit odd. Definitely an immensely anticlimactic feeling and is making scheduling at work super awkward. 

I guess this isn’t so much a question, as a call for reassurance, or at minimum, insight into similar experiences others might have had.

Cheers 🙂

Edited by shostakovich
Typo

It may be that you have already tried this, but emails are easy to ignore. Get a person on the phone. If they can't help you, politely ask them to connect you to the person who can. If no one knows, ask for a date when they expect to know and call back then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AnomanderRake
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, shostakovich said:

Not sure if this properly belongs in the lawyer chat or articling… (which actually mirrors the topic of this post).

BC lawyers: I’m wondering about the end of articles. Was anyone else left in limbo after completing all the articling requirements but before hearing back from LSBC about your call application? My anticipated call date was yesterday but I haven’t heard anything about my application package (which was submitted more than a month ago). I’ve followed up with them twice, but crickets. I don’t mind if it’s taking a bit longer but not knowing or hearing anything whatsoever is unsettling. My anxious brain is convinced there is something wrong of course. I’m sure all is good, but I do find it a bit odd. Definitely an immensely anticlimactic feeling and is making scheduling at work super awkward. 

I guess this isn’t so much a question, as a call for reassurance, or at minimum, insight into similar experiences others might have had.

Cheers 🙂

My experience from getting called this year is that you might hear nothing for weeks and then immediately hear back from the law society once you follow up with them. My recommendation is that you call the LSBC Member Services Department and get someone to look into this. 

• Thanks 1

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

I would call member services, potentially repeatedly. LSBC is terrible for following up with articled students. I had to be on the local bencher about my bencher interview multiple times. They also completely forgot to contact me about the post covid call ceremony, despite me reaching out. Oh and even my articles got approved 2 weeks late despite submitting the application well in advance. They were kind enough to make it retro active to my original start date, which would have been nice to know before I delayed the start of my articles. 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, shostakovich said:

Update: took the Oath and became a lawyer this afternoon. Guess the LSBC’s ears were burning…

Okay, what member here works for LSBC, read the OP and went "SHIT, oh yeah I was supposed to deal with that..."? lol

• LOL 4