Vancouver Island - criminal law

Hegdis

Some one on the Island reached out to me today about a job for a new / junior Call. NOT an articling position.

Criminal law only. Would mean relocating to the island if you aren't already there.

If anyone is seriously interested, send me a PM.

• Like 2

The Island really is a paradise. Lots of people making the move.

I dunno about criminal law not being your thing... dealing with individuals who has behaved badly and negotiating the fallout IS sort of in your wheelhouse, isn't it?

Mountebank
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, Jaggers said:

Sigh. I could really use a change of scene, and the island sounds nice. But criminal law is not really my thing.

Just do what the other city slickers do and summer in PEC. It's...technically an island (since 1889).

2 hours ago, Hegdis said:

I dunno about criminal law not being your thing... dealing with individuals who has behaved badly and negotiating the fallout IS sort of in your wheelhouse, isn't it?

Yeah, but I'm not prepared to have someone's freedom in my hands...

I did touch on some criminal law previously, and it really wasn't my thing.

I could probably find an employment lawyer gig in BC if I was really serious. I could probably even convince my boss to let me move there, though the time zone would be an issue.

1 hour ago, Mountebank said:

Just do what the other city slickers do and summer in PEC. It's...technically an island (since 1889).

We do rent cottages every summer (the last thing I'd want to do is own one) and we like PEC, but it's a little overpriced.

1 hour ago, Mountebank said:

Does a canal create an island? If so, most of downtown Ottawa is an island too.

Mountebank
  • Lawyer
7 hours ago, Jaggers said:

Does a canal create an island? If so, most of downtown Ottawa is an island too.

Well, if we want to be maximally reductive, I guess mainland North/Central America is an island to the Panama Canal.

Yes, PEC is ridiculously priced these days.

2 hours ago, Mountebank said:

Yes, PEC is ridiculously priced these days.

I am not extremely price sensitive, but we rented an apartment about 100 metres from the Mediterranean Sea in June/July, and a cottage about 100 metres from Georgian Bay in August, and the Georgian Bay one was almost twice as expensive per night. And that's probably 50% less than something in PEC.

Rusty Iron Ring
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Jaggers said:

I am not extremely price sensitive, but we rented an apartment about 100 metres from the Mediterranean Sea in June/July, and a cottage about 100 metres from Georgian Bay in August, and the Georgian Bay one was almost twice as expensive per night. And that's probably 50% less than something in PEC.

I highly recommend the maritimes. Rent a super nice cottage in walking distance to a beach at a budget price.  Spend the savings on daily lobster/scallop binges.