OCI Recruitment Events

Remedies

Remedies
  • Law Student

I just received an email for a Recruitment Event (dinner) for one of the OCI firms. How important is it for us to go? If I don't show up to the event because of class, will it reduce my chances of getting an in-firm interview?

Note: The student recruitment dinner is scheduled a few days before the OCIs

I was told more jobs are lost at dinner than won. But if it is a firm you like or want, you should go. If you do not go, it signals to the firm you are less interested than those who do go.

• Like 2

It's probably true that it's easier to screw things up than to make a great impression that you hadn't made at the interview. But there are lots of ways to do both, and both happen every year. I would say you should probably go unless it really isn't possible for you.

• Like 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
8 hours ago, Remedies said:

If I don't show up to the event because of class, will it reduce my chances of getting an in-firm interview?

If you're interested in working at the firm, you should go. They'll be taking note of who showed up, and having a class isn't a good excuse to miss something like that. 

• Like 1

Remedies
  • Law Student
39 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

Are you sure about this? Firms aren't allowed to host recruitment events other than the OCIs themselves until interview week.

There have been a few socials last week and this week with different firms. We were told that the blackout period is Oct 4 - Oct 23 and the event is before that. I haven't asked my CSO yet if this is allowed.

Firms also get around this by offering events for groups of students based on other criteria (e.g. recipients of scholarships they award) regardless of whether the people invited have applied for a job or been invited to an interview.

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
On 9/13/2022 at 11:27 AM, Rashabon said:

Are you sure about this? Firms aren't allowed to host recruitment events other than the OCIs themselves until interview week.

Firms also get around it by blatantly ignoring LSO rules (I'd never out any firms personally, in public or in private, but I know for a fact that it happens with some regularity).

There are also the firms whose partners/associates conveniently "forget" what the rules are and ask applicants whether they're allowed to tell you X Y or Z. 

Edited by QueensDenning

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
15 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

Firms also get around it by blatantly ignoring LSO rules (I'd never out any firms personally, in public or in private, but I know for a fact that it happens with some regularity).

There are also the firms whose partners/associates conveniently "forget" what the rules are and ask applicants whether they're allowed to tell you X Y or Z. 

Eh unless you're active like me or part of the actual committee you don't regularly review or pay attention to the LSO rules, which have changed multiple times in the last 3-4 years. Sure some might conveniently forget or cross a line, others legitimately do so.

• Like 2

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, Rashabon said:

Eh unless you're active like me or part of the actual committee you don't regularly review or pay attention to the LSO rules, which have changed multiple times in the last 3-4 years. Sure some might conveniently forget or cross a line, others legitimately do so.

For sure. But it also gives applicants a chance to say something along the lines of "I'm not exactly sure about the rules, but this will stay between you and me" sort of thing. Which is what I think they are trying to elicit in this situation a lot of the time.

Edited by QueensDenning