Failed the Barrister 3 Times. How strict is the LSO with allowing a 4th write? Anyone with experience on this?

queenwest0

queenwest0
  • Articling Student

Hi everyone, as the title suggests, I have been unsuccessful in passing the Barrister exam 3 times now. I have completed my articles (all while studying/taking the bar) and only have the licensing exams to complete. I am currently prepping to take the Solicitor exam in November. I’m hoping there’s others out there who are/were in my shoes and could shed some light on the process with getting an approval for a 4th write. Any advice helps, thank you.

Edited by queenwest0
  • Like 3

This forum is full of people who claim to have passed the bar without studying.  If anyone wants to reply honestly, then I'll note that there is a slider option to write anonymously when submitting the reply.

• LOL 4

Garfield
  • Articling Student

Sorry to hear that, you will get through this. I think it has been said elsewhere here that the LSO offers free tutoring if you did not pass one of the exams.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, queenwest0 said:

Hi everyone, as the title suggests, I have been unsuccessful in passing the Barrister exam 3 times now. I have completed my articles (all while studying/taking the bar) and only have the licensing exams to complete. I am currently prepping to take the Solicitor exam in November. I’m hoping there’s others out there who are/were in my shoes and could shed some light on the process with getting an approval for a 4th write. Any advice helps, thank you.

How did you study for the exam? 

Dream Machine
  • Lawyer
5 hours ago, myth000 said:

This forum is full of people who claim to have passed the bar without studying.  If anyone wants to reply honestly, then I'll note that there is a slider option to write anonymously when submitting the reply.

One absolutely can pass without doing any reading but the professional responsibility section. I'm guessing one could then also pass without doing any reading at all.

That's why failing it 3 times make the chosen approach seem like a failure in strategy.

Don't think of it as not studying, but not reading. Do take practice tests with your index.

FYI I understand you may have been referring to people who say they did no preparation at all.

epeeist
  • Lawyer

@queenwest0 I've done volunteer tutoring in the civil litigation subject through LSO for a few years for candidates who failed the barrister exam (and sometimes for paralegal exam also). Sometimes some really smart, knowledgeable people have failed.

But pretty much the first thing I ask and discuss with candidates is to try and figure out why they failed. They don't need to tell me if they don't want, you don't need to post here, but going into the exam a 4th time just studying more, doing the same thing as before but not figuring out why, is problematic.

Time management (spending too long on questions, especially too much time on easier questions), exam stress, sometimes lack of subject knowledge in particular areas, lack of much experience with multiple choice exams, disability which can be accommodated but only if you ask, whatever. YOU have to figure out (and/or ask help from people who know you, e.g. were you always "bad" at exams and why) and then think about how to address.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...