Can I switch cities from 2L summer to articling

traintogo

traintogo
  • Law Student

Does anyone have experience or insider knowledge on if it's possible to do a 2L summer in one city and ask to article in another (with the same big law firm)?

For example, doing my 2L summer in Vancouver and then asking to article with my same firm in Toronto.

My wife is applying to programs and is more likely to get in a school in Toronto than the city we currently live, and I am trying to plan ahead all our options. Thanks!

Ohshmagoda
  • Lawyer

Be aware that different firms might feel differently about this. Asking to do this will often rub the office you’re leaving the wrong way

Turtles
  • Law Student

Definitely depends on the firm and potentially the city. I know at least two big law offices in Ottawa will outright tell you no and require you to leave and do the recruit because they want to discourage people coming for a summer with an intention to transfer out