Being invited to lunch/dinner - Vancouver In-Firms

traintogo

traintogo
  • Law Student

What are your thoughts on being invited to a lunch/dinner when booking your in-firm?

I had one firm invite me for dinner and another didn't invite me to a lunch/dinner but DID invite my friend to a lunch. Is this a good indicator of how much they want you?

VIPigeon
  • Law Student

Curious as well… it would be great to know which firms invited every candidate and which didn’t. (I know that’s neurotic but it would be nice to gauge the firm’s interest so we can prioritize our time and effort…) 

• Like 1

Swami
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, Allard2024 said:

What are your thoughts on being invited to a lunch/dinner when booking your in-firm?

I had one firm invite me for dinner and another didn't invite me to a lunch/dinner but DID invite my friend to a lunch. Is this a good indicator of how much they want you?

it really depends. some firms are trying to be efficient in getting through candidates and if your interview falls during a lunch spot then you will just be  taken to lunch because the interviewers need to eat too! I feel like a better indicator would be firms taking you out for dinner. But then again I was taken out to lunch and didn't get a call back, and ended up getting an offer from a place that took me to dinner. Honestly it's really hard to do but just try to relax and have a little fun while still being professional.

More jobs are lost at meals than not. Don't worry about it and don't stress what others are doing.

Just focus on what you have and build those connections with your interviewers.

There is nothing you can do about what they are doing with other candidates and what their actions means.

QMT20
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, Allard2024 said:

2 hours ago, VIPigeon said:

Curious as well… it would be great to know which firms invited every candidate and which didn’t. (I know that’s neurotic but it would be nice to gauge the firm’s interest so we can prioritize our time and effort…) 

I won't comment on which firms invite every candidate and which firms don't. However, I will say one firm in Toronto used to host a "top candidates lunch" and they were pretty explicit with telling students that they were only invited if the firm thought highly about them. If you're invited for a meal with a firm that doesn't invite everyone, it's probably a good sign. But as Ramesses said, social events have their own risks. 

Most firms that I'm aware of invite everyone to a meal if they're doing it. It's generally a dinner with your choice of putting it on day one or day two. If it's a private dinner instead of a group dinner, who they send to the dinner could be a way of communicating interest. I'm aware of people who were scheduled to have dinner with associates that had a last minute re-schedule after their first interview for partners to attend instead, and they received offers at those firms. 

• Like 1