Rate my ECs (3rd year)?

backtomac

backtomac
  • Applicant

Hi! I've been wondering how I stand with regard to ECs compared to other applicants. I am in no way intending to brag (in case they're good lol), just asking for honest feedback. These are the highlights:

I founded and incorporated a biotech startup solo

2 provisional patents written solo with the US patent office

founded a student organization

4 decent exec positions with uni clubs

sporadic STEM volunteering for a bit over a year with multiple orgs 

small scholarship for GPA 

edit: i forgot a Dell mentorship if that matters haha,

and research @ a research hospital for a year (no pub)

Edited by backtomac

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

Compared to mine (and I suspect many other people’s ECs), these looks very impressive. This being said, your GPA and LSAT will have the most weight when your application is assessed. Strong ECs (like yours) would compensate for minor LSAT/GPA weaknesses, but it is unlikely that they’d add significant strength to an otherwise weak application. If you’re applying to T14 schools, and your stats are 3.9+ GPA and 173+ LSAT, then things come down to ECs because more applicants generally high stats than there are available spots in the program. In Canada, I suspect that most schools (other than maybe a few schools who describe themselves as holistic) would base their admission decision mainly on the stats. You got excellent ECs, now go get that good LSAT score!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, backtomac said:

Hi! I've been wondering how I stand with regard to ECs compared to other applicants. I am in no way intending to brag (in case they're good lol), just asking for honest feedback. These are the highlights:

I founded and incorporated a biotech startup solo

2 provisional patents written solo with the US patent office

founded a student organization

4 decent exec positions with uni clubs

sporadic STEM volunteering for a bit over a year with multiple orgs 

small scholarship for GPA 

edit: i forgot a Dell mentorship if that matters haha,

and research @ a research hospital for a year (no pub)

I'd focus on the startup and the patents. The rest doesn't really stand out to me so while it won't hurt to include it in an application any section with a word limit should be focused on the big hitters.

But, these experiences will only be as useful as you make them. If you can use your more impressive items to craft a narrative you'll find more success than if you just have them leading an itemized list. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
thrill
  • Law Student

not going to lie reading the first sentence, i thought OP was shitposting. good job OP! far better than mine

• LOL 1