Boosting GPA after graduating?

PapaPetrovitch

PapaPetrovitch
  • Law Student

What are some ways someone can boost their GPA after having completed their undergrad? 

And if I know I want to go to law school but my current GPA is getting in the way, would you recommend completing a one year master degree in a relevant field? (relevant for my anticipated law path post-JD, if possible). The idea being that I can show my academic rigor by getting a higher GPA in this program. 

For context, I applied last year with the following stats:

• 3.32 cGPA, 3.5 L2
  • 163 LSAT
  • ECs: worked part time through most of uni and did not join any clubs
  • LORs: From two profs that I only took one class with

I got rejected from Western, Queens, McGill (target school), UoT, and Ottawa. 

I am retaking the November LSAT and currently PTing in the high 160s/Low 170s.

RIP-Joel
  • Law Student
42 minutes ago, PapaPetrovitch said:

What are some ways someone can boost their GPA after having completed their undergrad? 

And if I know I want to go to law school but my current GPA is getting in the way, would you recommend completing a one year master degree in a relevant field? The idea being that I can show my academic rigor by getting a higher GPA in this program. 

You can boost your GPA by going back to your undergrad institution as a continuing student to take easy courses.

Note: I emailed the Ontario schools asking this exact question last year. Out of all the Ontario schools, only Oz looks exclusively at courses completed before graduation. They don't look at courses completed after you have officially finished your degree (so courses you would take as a continuing student wouldn't count for them. They would take the Cgpa and L2 that you have mentioned above as your stats). However, ALL other Ontario schools include continuing ed courses as part of their GPA calculation. 

Note 2: continuing education isn't a separate program from other programs. Being a continuing student just means you have the ability to take undergrad courses. Email your school's registrar and ask them, "how do I apply to be a continuing student?". When I did it, it took like 3 minutes. You get special privileges as an alumni and one of them is that you can go back to take courses whenever you want.  

Regarding whether to do a master's degree to display academic rigor, I would say no. You would be better off financially and in the application process if you go back to your undergrad institution to take a bunch of easy courses. This would boost your L2 and Cgpa, 2 things that are MUCH more important than doing a masters degree (which would fall under an EC). If you have the stats, you get in. If you have the EC's (such as a masters degree) but don't have the stats, you dont get in. 

Best of luck in the application process 🙂 

Edited by RIP-Joel
  • Like 2