Reapplying with the same letters?

turtle2341

turtle2341
  • Law School Admit

Hello, 

I am looking to reapply. Do law schools keep your information when a student reapplies, for example the personal statements and reference letters? Is it seen as bad if I reuse or just slightly tweak the personal statements? Additionally, it is likely that 1 of my reference letters will remain the same as it is coming from the same person. As for the 2nd reference, I am planning on using a different person, but would likely provide them with a reference letter example that is similar to the one I previously applied with, is this a bad idea? 

Forever Curious
  • Law Student

Reference letters can be the same but personal statements probably shouldn't be - if you're reapplying because you didn't get in last time, I think the school would probably want to see some significant changes unless you think your letter was really good. 

scooter
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, turtle2341 said:

Is it seen as bad if I reuse or just slightly tweak the personal statements?

If you are reapplying, that probably means there is room for improvement in your previous personal statement.

Turtles
  • Law Student

If you were unsuccessful last year, what do you think will change this year?

That's not a demoralizing statement: at the very least, you could reflect on your personal statement and see how you can improve it (e.g., was it too dull? did it come off as unauthentic? was it just not persuasive enough and didn't sell you? did it come off too arrogant? did you say something that may be negatively perceived?) and/or whether your reference letters did you any favors (e.g., is is possible you reference said something negative? do your referees know you well enough? did your referees convey enough of your strengths?). 

Your application materials are largely under your control to improve. I'm not sure why you wouldn't make use of that opportunity.