Personal Statement Length?

Bunnypunch

Bunnypunch
  • Applicant

Hi, hope you all doing well. Just wandering how many words did you put in your PS? I know it's 7500 max words for U of T and 6500 words for Osgoode. It's quite a lot and I'm struggling to find the sweet spot. I don't have much to write and U of T PS samples only have around 1000 words.

U of T samples: https://marcuseducate.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Примеры-эссе-для-UofT.pdf

Hey!

From what I can tell, the character limit for UofT's personal statement for their General category this year is 5000 characters. The optional question is another 2500 characters. That is about 1000 and 500 words, respectively (give or take). Maybe that's the issue?

GoatDuck
  • Law Student

Yeah it’s 5000 characters for the personal statement and 2500 characters for the optional essay. It ends up being roughly 2 pages single spaced for the PS and under 1 page for the optional essay.

• Like 1

Bunnypunch
  • Applicant
13 hours ago, Froom said:

Hey!

From what I can tell, the character limit for UofT's personal statement for their General category this year is 5000 characters. The optional question is another 2500 characters. That is about 1000 and 500 words, respectively (give or take). Maybe that's the issue?

Thank you so much! I didn't realize that I misread characters as words... 😆

Pastrey
  • Law Student

I did that last year. Thought I had 5000 words to work with and had crafted my personal statement. Went to upload and couldn’t because I exceeded the length. It was maximum 5000 characters. This was of course the day applications were due. It was an experience (I hope to never repeat) to cut down something that had taken me months to draft in a matter of hours and still read well/make sense.  LOL.

Better to learn now than early November! 🙂

• Nom! 1

Bunnypunch
  • Applicant
21 hours ago, Pastrey said:

I did that last year. Thought I had 5000 words to work with and had crafted my personal statement. Went to upload and couldn’t because I exceeded the length. It was maximum 5000 characters. This was of course the day applications were due. It was an experience (I hope to never repeat) to cut down something that had taken me months to draft in a matter of hours and still read well/make sense.  LOL.

Better to learn now than early November! 🙂

omg I'm sorry to hear this. Couldn't believe someone is on the same page with me😂 But I believe once you boiled down your ps, it must be amazing. Just curious which law school did you end up going?

Pastrey
  • Law Student
13 hours ago, Bunnypunch said:

omg I'm sorry to hear this. Couldn't believe someone is on the same page with me😂 But I believe once you boiled down your ps, it must be amazing. Just curious which law school did you end up going?

I only applied to Ottawa. I applied as a mature student. I cannot move elsewhere as my husband and I take care of his elderly mother.

I wouldn’t say amazing, but it was still well written I think. 🙂 

• Like 1