No valid LSAT score yet. When will schools consider my app?

immlaw1313

immlaw1313
  • Applicant

Hello! I am taking the LSAT for the first time in November. All my applications are due November 1, but I have indicated on them that I am taking the November test. I am also planning to re-take in January I have indicated that as well.

Without a valid score right away, will my application be put on hold until I have one? And when I update my score in Jan, will schools review my updated application again?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by immlaw1313
My original title was misleading

• immlaw1313 changed the title to No valid LSAT score yet. When will schools consider my app?
GoatDuck
  • Law Student

They won't start reviewing your app until you have a valid LSAT score on file, and if you've indicated that you're taking the January test, then if your Nov score isn't competitive, then they will assess your application once the January score is released. If your Nov score is high and the rest of your application makes you a competitive applicant, then they can accept you based on your pre-January-LSAT stats. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student

I was in this boat, minus the rewrite 3 years ago. I wrote the LSAT Nov 25th, and got the results on Dec 18/19. Kind of crappy timing as you'll be wondering whether any admissions staff will have a chance to look at your application at all before the new year.

I got my first acceptance on January 13th and the last on February 19th.

For what it's worth, the first school that accepted me was the most "competitive" school I applied to, and the last to accept me was the least. In other words, having your file perfect "late" has a somewhat unpredictable effect, depending on the practices of each given school.

immlaw1313
  • Applicant
On 10/14/2022 at 12:03 PM, GoatDuck said:

They won't start reviewing your app until you have a valid LSAT score on file, and if you've indicated that you're taking the January test, then if your Nov score isn't competitive, then they will assess your application once the January score is released. If your Nov score is high and the rest of your application makes you a competitive applicant, then they can accept you based on your pre-January-LSAT stats. 

Thank you! I'm honestly thinking my November score will be low but everything else about my app will make me very competitive (3.91 GPA on the OLSAS scale, government experience and tons of relevant ecs) so I'm a little nervous how my LSAT score will affect when they assess me.

GoatDuck
  • Law Student
7 hours ago, immlaw1313 said:

Thank you! I'm honestly thinking my November score will be low but everything else about my app will make me very competitive (3.91 GPA on the OLSAS scale, government experience and tons of relevant ecs) so I'm a little nervous how my LSAT score will affect when they assess me.

Your chances will depend on what schools you're applying to, but you'd still want your LSAT in at least low 160s to have a decent chance to get in. If you end up scoring 162+, then I think you have good chances for most places in Canada. But if your score is >160, I'd recommend retaking the test in January.  

Re: how your Nov LSAT will affect your application if your score is low, I think in that case they'll just reassess you once your Jan score comes in and ignore the Nov score. 

immlaw1313
  • Applicant
On 10/31/2022 at 2:15 PM, TheDevilIKnow said:

I was in this boat, minus the rewrite 3 years ago. I wrote the LSAT Nov 25th, and got the results on Dec 18/19. Kind of crappy timing as you'll be wondering whether any admissions staff will have a chance to look at your application at all before the new year.

I got my first acceptance on January 13th and the last on February 19th.

For what it's worth, the first school that accepted me was the most "competitive" school I applied to, and the last to accept me was the least. In other words, having your file perfect "late" has a somewhat unpredictable effect, depending on the practices of each given school.

What were your scores if you don't mind me asking? I don't see it being possible to crack 160 by the Jan test just based on where I'm at now.

Edited by immlaw1313
typo

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student

163, pretty average for the "competitive" schools, but I'm a mature student with a long CV, so I don't think that aspect of my experience is really generalizable. Just wanted you to know about the unpredictable timelines as a late test-writer.

I don't have any great LSAT tips; most resources did not seem to work for me. Everyone is a little different in this regard. Just keep at it and hope that you surprise yourself! 🙂