First Choice Language Timing

Remedies

Remedies
  • Law Student

In-firms are coming up for Vancouver this week. What is the best time to provide first choice language? I'm particularly curious about expressing my "first-choice" during a lunch or dinner. If I have a lunch or dinner scheduled right after my first in-firm interview, should I wait and request for a second "formal" interview before telling them? What if the lunch/dinner goes really well? Thanks!

My advice is based on Toronto in firms so someone else can clarify if they believe things are different in Vancouver. 

Assuming there's 3-days of interviews, I usually recommend telling a firm they're your first choice at some point during day 2. You can tell them during your second-interview, you can tell them over lunch/dinner, or you can just tell your host by email/over the phone/however you can reach them. How you tell them won't matter as much as you do tell them because they'll communicate it internally and it'll be a factor. 

Day 2 has the most effect because a lot of decisions about candidates tend to be made in the evening of day 2. If you get invited to come in for day 3, you'll usually get an offer. 

• Like 3

Remedies
  • Law Student

Thanks for the advice! Yes, Vancouver also has 3 days of interviews.

Sounds good. I'll plan to express my "first choice" some time on Day 2 (unless something unexpected happens)!

chilly
  • Law Student

Agree with QMT20 that it's very helpful for firms if you express your first choice on day 2.

Also, firms will give you back your first choice if they feel that there's little chance they can offer you something. A day 2 first choice might give them more time for them to do so if that's needed.

For anyone out there who has yet to give a first choice today: fret not! It's also completely ok and normal to give your first choice on day 3 if that makes you feel more comfortable and certain. A lot of my classmates and folks in my summer cohort did so, myself included. At the very latest, try to communicate your first choice by the early afternoon on day 3 as many firms have internal discussions in the late afternoon.

Good luck to everyone!

• Like 1