Transferring- Pros and Cons

jakebrigance99

jakebrigance99
  • Applicant

I will be starting 1L this year at Western, strongly considering transferring after first year to Oz/UFT. Or at least applying to. 

What are the pros and cons of entering into second year? Is it harder to get into clinics, and mooting teams? For example, if I wanted to moot (As an extra-curricular, not for credit) in second year, would transferring in make that harder? What about course selection, do we have last pick?

Generally looking for any advice from people who have transferred and how they found the experience. 

Thanks! 

jakebrigance99
  • Applicant

Name of the school, can live at home with family, want to be nearby family for support, etc. Just generally cheaper, better name of school, and closer to home. I also want to end up working in GTA, so makes more sense to go to school there. 

Lawllapalooza
  • Lawyer

My advice: don't put too much time and energy into thinking about transferring before you've even stepped foot into class. Give Western a chance, you may be surprised. I had similar reasons for wanting to study in Toronto but I wound up elsewhere and boy am I glad I did. You may have a different experience than I did, I just suggest keeping an open mind. FYI on the savings front - tuition and supplemental fees at U of T total about $13,000 more per year than Western (though I don't know how their bursaries/funding compare). Also most Western students practice in the GTA.

luckycharm

I transferred from Ottawa to OZ.

Western is a VERY reputable school.

London is 2 hours from Toronto

You need at least a B+ and most like an A- GPA to be considered by U of T and OZ 

OZ also look at compassionate reasons and 50% of the spots will be given to those with compassionate reasons.

However, many with compassionate reasons also has very competitive stats. My classmate was able to transfer to OZ with B- GPA  a very strong compassionate reason.

I don't see any "compassionate" reason in your case and you really need a very competitive GPA.

I suggest you look into this again after you know your GPA from first semester.    

Dussy
  • Law Student

Similarly to you , I also thought I would attempt to transfer after 1L. However, like @Lawllapalooza, I enjoyed my school and loved my professors. Ultimately, I decided not to submit a transfer application, despite the fact I had competitive grades. Also, I have already been accepted into a clinic for the upcoming academic year. I did not want to pass up that opportunity.

Go into the year with an open mind and give Western a chance. It is an excellent school.