No offer after in-firms

kassgirl

kassgirl
  • Law Student

Really just trying to get some clarity. I had 4 in firms, all of which brought me back for second day interviews. One of them didn't have the practice areas I wanted and I felt safe with my other three letting them fade off after day two. I expressed first choice language at the end of day two, and then day three I had two of them bring me back in (neither of which were my first choice). I got an email later from my first choice rejecting me so I pivoted to another who had brought me in all three days, they also rejected me later in the day 3. The final one, despite expressing my interest and first choice again, were unable to give me an offer as well (seems there was an email mixup). So now I am left with nothing. I don't know where I went wrong or where to go from here. Any advice or thoughts please, I am a bit shocked because it was going so well, until it wasn't. I don't know what types of firms will even be available to me now for 2L summer. 

duck
  • Articling Student

Hey! I’m sorry about your experience. I also participated in the recruit. Sometimes additional dinners or lunches don’t mean much. They certainly can mean they’re trying to influence your decision but it could also mean they’re unsure about you. 
The firm I was given an offer at was the firm I expressed a lot of interest in from the start (subtle first choice language in the first interview). The other firm that I was “waitlisted” on was a firm I expressed interest in but just not enough. The recruitment team can definitely tell the difference. I suspect you may have used the first choice language too late for the firms that were not your immediate first choice.

IacobucciFanGirl
  • Law Student

So sorry to hear this - take comfort in knowing this is a very very common experience. I have many upper year friends who had full in-firm days and "good vibes" throughout yet had no offers. You could spend forever going in circles in your head wondering where you erred but its all only speculation - you may never know why and I'm sure at the end of the day with the amount of candidates they have to compare it comes down to tiny nuanced differences in energy, a partner with more pull advocating for another student, a concern you aren't committed to the city, having offered several other positions to people from the same school/background and thus wanting to diversify etc... 

All in all - you will likely never know and should not feel as though you did something "wrong". 

Impossible to believe right now I know - but it will all workout in the end. Set up a meeting with your CDO office to brainstorm. Best of luck. 

• Like 1

RobsonTurtle
  • Law Student

Exactly the same feeling here. It's not fun to keep getting rejected throughout the recuirt process. Still have 2 interviews left but already feeling burned out.