In-firm interview process questions

ccounsel2024

ccounsel2024
  • Law Student

I have a few questions regarding the in firm process and I was hoping to get some insight: 

1. If the interview on the first day is 30 minutes, does this likely mean there are 2nd and 3rd interviews? 30 minutes seems pretty short to be the only interview. 

2. Do they typically invite you back for second interviews by 5pm that day if there are second interviews or networking events? 

3. If they called you right at 8am and booked you for an 8am slot on Monday, does this mean anything? This was my top choice so it would be nice if it meant something. 

4. What is the etiquette for dinners, receptions etc. How early can we leave? I know it’s good to go to seem interested, but is it a necessity? I was told there was gonna be an event on Monday and another on Tuesday (if we make it to that stage), but those are only 2 firms and I’m not sure what the others have planned. 

5. I scheduled more in-firms than recommended by my CDO because my interviews are only 30 minutes or an hour. Do you see any potential downside to this (outside of being tired)? It just seems like another OCI day.

6. If they call you on offer day, do they tell you the salary? Some firms don’t have the salary posted online and that’s important for me to make my decision. 

7. Any general tips for in firms 

Thanks in advance, and my apologies if any of these are “common sensical” questions - just would appreciate clarity in the process. 

Edited by ccounsel2024
  • Like 1

bocuma
  • Law Student

I'm drawing on my experience from doing the 2L recruit in Vancouver, but maybe it'll be helpful:

1: How it worked in Vancouver was firms would slowly narrow down their candidates over the three days, so if you didn't get invited back for day 2 or 3 that meant you got cut. If a firm likes you they will try to meet you as many times as possible. I met 12 lawyers from the firm I interviewed with throughout the various interviews, and a similar amount from other firms as well.

2: You can expect to get invites at varying times depending on the firms. I had firms tell me at my initial 9am interview that they would schedule second interviews "some time this evening" and then send me an invite about half an hour after that. If that happens it's a really good sign because it means they know your schedule will fill and want to get on your schedule ASAP.

3: Generally it does - they have limited 8am slots and if you get offered one of those it's probably a sign. The sooner things happen the easier it is for the firm to get back on your schedule.

4: I only did one dinner and one reception, the reception was several hours long and I only stayed for about 45 minutes (enough to be seen and chat with a few people). At the dinner they made an announcement at the end telling students they could leave, and then I politely excused myself and left shortly after. I would err on the side of caution and go to those if possible. They are like thank-you notes, where it's just part of the process and going is a good sign, whereas if you don't go the recruiters don't really know what your intentions are.

5: It can be pretty demanding to juggle all of the communication you have to do with lots of firms. Writing thank-you notes is an important part of the process, as is keeping up communication with recruiters throughout the day if they get in touch. I also found it very helpful to have breaks between interviews because it let me collect my thoughts and mentally prepare for the next one.

6: They didn't tell me and I didn't ask, which is pretty strange in hindsight (so I guess they can pay me whatever they want now, because I already accepted haha). But, all the recruiters talk and everyone pays almost exactly the same.

7.0: "First choice" is absolutely crucial, start thinking early about who you might want to give it to. Don't leave it too late. Without a clear indication of that kind of interest you might not get an offer.

7.1: Be prepared for surprises, like having your interviewers changed at the last minute, or being told you will speak to one group of people and then getting another. You can easily recover from this by starting off your meetings by saying "I didn't know I would be interviewing with you today, can you tell me a bit more about yourself and your practice?" This happened a lot to me on day 2 actually, which makes me suspect it may have been a way for firms to test if you handle something surprising or unexpected well.

7.2: Go for a solid 30 minute walk in your dress shoes now, to figure out where you'll get blisters. If you know in advance what parts of your feet will get blisters, you can buy some moleskin and apply it in advance to prevent them. If you have a very compact pair of shoes you can fit in your bag, bring them to interviews and change shoes in the lobby.

7.3: Don't be afraid to bring a creature comfort with you throughout the process. I lugged my big noise-cancelling headphones with me all over Vancouver, which was awesome because music can help calm me down and being able to shut out everything around me and relax between interviews was really helpful.

7.4: Be prepared to ask a lot of questions after day 1. I went into an interview on day 2 scheduled for 45 minutes and the interviewers were basically like "ok what do you want to know about our firm?" The expectation was that I would direct the conversation and ask what I needed to know. I'm so glad I prepared for that, because maintaining the conversation for 45 minutes was very challenging.

7.5: Don't be afraid to bring a big notebook around with you. I brought a full-size (8.5x11") notebook with me which was super helpful, because I could spread out questions and notes about the interviewers across the pages. I would put all my prep-work in there ahead of time, which made the process so much easier because when I got to an interview I could just scan my notes for 5 minutes before we started and I would remember all the stuff I needed to know. I would typically have a spread with the interviewers, some facts about them including background, practice area, interesting work they did, and questions prepared for them as well. Having a list of prepared questions was crucial, even if a lot of the time I was improvising.

7.6: The reality of the process is that many of the questions you will be asked are about assessing your behaviour. The interviews are conversational on the surface, but the interviewers are always trying to assess what kind of person you are and if you would be able to handle the demands of practicing law and fit into their firm. Think carefully about your answers and what they say about the kind of person you are. If you get asked a question about why you like running, for example, and your answer is "I liked playing soccer but hated relying on people on my team and still wanted to get the exercise," that's a very bad answer even if it's true, because it raises some questions about whether you could handle a team environment well. While I have never had a recruiter confirm this to me, I was very careful about how I presented myself and it worked out very well for me. You may want to err on the side of caution and do this as well.

EDIT: One more tip: This is your first opportunity to make connections in the legal market you're applying to, and it's very likely that you will run into these people again. First impressions are memorable, especially if they're particularly good or particularly bad. Even if you don't end up at one firm, making a good impression now may open doors later if your other plans fall through.

Good luck! 🙂

Edited by bocuma
  • Like 4

About3iqPoints
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, ccounsel2024 said:

2. Do they typically invite you back for second interviews by 5pm that day if there are second interviews or networking events? 

It really varies by firm - some firms rescheduled a second interview / meal while I was in the building, and some independently reached out or replied to my thank you email with an invitation back. If you are concerned, I would recommend asking what the process moving forward is at the end of your interview. 

• Like 1

Remedies
  • Law Student

The above two posts have great info. I just want to add a few more points from my experience with the Vancouver recruit:

• The speed of communication was very indicative of their interest. If you don't hear back from a firm within an hour or two hours of your interview, then it's best to focus on the other firms. I wouldn't completely let go of the firms that reply slower though. It just means that they might not be as interested in you.
  • First choice language is very important! Tuesday afternoon seemed to be the safest option because some firms will tell you if they might not have a spot for you. If you get a lukewarm response or an outright rejection, you can focus on the other firms on Wednesday.
  • Absolutely do not first choice more than one firm. Most of the recruiters are definitely talking to each other.
  • You are not safe until offer day. You might first choice a firm and get a really great response but hear back a few hours later that they're not moving forward with you.
  • For receptions: you don't have to stay the whole time, but try to spend at least 30 minutes for each firm. I noticed some of the firms recording the time we entered and left (they would take our name tags before we leave).
  • For dinners: take your cues from the lawyers/interviewers, especially if you're the only student during the dinner. Don't order food that's more expensive than the lawyers' and don't get more drinks than they do
  •  Try to have a list of lawyers, practice areas, etc that you want to "meet next". A few firms will ask you during the interview who else you want to meet from the firm and you should have an answer or think up a response quickly.
  • Be careful about scheduling firms with minimal time in between. You need to have enough time to write a thank you email, respond to emails/schedule your next interview, and prep for the next firm.
  • Like 1

1. Not necessarily, I have heard of some firms that just do a single interview, but there are often other things that go with it (i.e. lunch/dinner, student social)

2. it depends, sometime you get invited during your interview other times it may be later.

3. Sorry to burst your bubble but most places that doesnt mean anything. 

4. Firms understand if you have to leave early, just try and meet as many people and make a good impression. However, the longer you stay the more interest you show.

5. This should be fine but i would narrow it down as you go through the process so that you can spend more time with the places you are most interested.

6. You can ask for it when they make an offer or ask a student currently at the firm during the interviews.

LMP
  • Articling Student
9 minutes ago, 123sueme said:

1. Not necessarily, I have heard of some firms that just do a single interview, but there are often other things that go with it (i.e. lunch/dinner, student social)

2. it depends, sometime you get invited during your interview other times it may be later.

3. Sorry to burst your bubble but most places that doesnt mean anything. 

4. Firms understand if you have to leave early, just try and meet as many people and make a good impression. However, the longer you stay the more interest you show.

5. This should be fine but i would narrow it down as you go through the process so that you can spend more time with the places you are most interested.

6. You can ask for it when they make an offer or ask a student currently at the firm during the interviews.

I've heard something different in regards to number 3. 

Firms and current students have told me explicitly that booking earlier in the day conveys interest and is something they take into account. 

Maybe it is just those paticular firms that hold that view, but I don't think the concept is as outlandish as you make it seem. 

• Like 1

When I did calls at a big firm, we were instructed to book everybody as early as possible. It's just easier to arrange all the logistics and callbacks. We would just book you into the earliest slot you told us was available.

• Like 1

Turtles
  • Law Student
34 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

When I did calls at a big firm, we were instructed to book everybody as early as possible. It's just easier to arrange all the logistics and callbacks. We would just book you into the earliest slot you told us was available.

Can confirm getting hassled telling one of the non-sister nationals I wanted 4PM -- "are you sure you can't do 9am? 10am? has to be 4???". They had the whole afternoon free, but were clearly given instructions to book mornings. 

9 hours ago, ccounsel2024 said:

3. If they called you right at 8am and booked you for an 8am slot on Monday, does this mean anything? This was my top choice so it would be nice if it meant something. 

2 hours ago, Jaggers said:

My experience calling students was largely the same as Jaggers and I'm fairly certain we were at different firms. 

4 hours ago, QMT20 said:

My experience calling students was largely the same as Jaggers and I'm fairly certain we were at different firms. 

Even if we were at the same firm, I probably left it at least 5-10 years before you were there.

We didn't hassle people to book early interviews. We asked politely if they had anything earlier, but would book anything on the Monday. We were under fairly strict direction not to book any first interview on Tuesday unless it really was the only option.

• Like 1

duck
  • Articling Student

Drawing on a successful 2L recruit in Vancouver for a Seven Sisters firm. 

1. If the interview on the first day is 30 minutes, does this likely mean there are 2nd and 3rd interviews? 30 minutes seems pretty short to be the only interview. 

My formal interviews for most firms were 1 hour long. If a firm is interested, you will absolutely have more than one interview (or can be in the form of a lunch/dinner/coffee). The firm I was successful with and the firms I wasn't successful with both didn't invite out to anything on the 3rd day.

See above! I'd also like to add that silence isn't always a bad thing. The firm that gave me the offer had a very structured recruit, where it was expected the format would be interview (day 1), reception (day 2), dinner (day 2). 

Absolutely. I think this is the biggest thing a firm can do to initially communicate interest. All four people I was with in the lobby of the firm that hired at 9am on the 1st day was given a job. It was actually insane. I have no idea about the people who were in a hour before us at 8am, the earlier a firm books you, the better. 

4. What is the etiquette for dinners, receptions etc. How early can we leave? I know it’s good to go to seem interested, but is it a necessity? I was told there was gonna be an event on Monday and another on Tuesday (if we make it to that stage), but those are only 2 firms and I’m not sure what the others have planned. 

I think once you have your first choice figured out, attend all their events and dinners. At receptions, try and stay for at least 60% of the time. I know people say it's good to talk to as many people as you can but personally I found that quality over quantity is helpful when holding conversations. At dinners, be on time and you should stay the whole time, especially if it's only with a small group. Your absence in either events will be noted and interpreted as a lack of interest. 

5. I scheduled more in-firms than recommended by my CDO because my interviews are only 30 minutes or an hour. Do you see any potential downside to this (outside of being tired)? It just seems like another OCI day.

In-firms are tiring. That fatigue crept up on me in a way nothing else ever has. I think fatigue also shows, even if you try to hide it. I had an interview at 4pm and I could tell the interviewers were burnt out. I imagine I probably presented that way too, even though I did my best not to. Things also randomly come up that complicate the timeline. Weather, traffic, internet connectivity, finding the venue etc...all that complicated my experience leading to delays of up to 20 minutes. 

6. If they call you on offer day, do they tell you the salary? Some firms don’t have the salary posted online and that’s important for me to make my decision. 

Not in my experience but my firm had their salary posted. 

7. Any general tips for in firms 

Have fun. Honestly that's the biggest thing. Your interviewers are people too and they want to have a good time with you. If you take yourself way too seriously it's going to lead to a pretty boring atmosphere. People hire people they want to work with. You got the in-firm, which means you meet their standards on paper. The in-firms are to make sure you're a good fit for the firm and for the people. 

If you're attending a reception, do not wear uncomfortable shoes because you will likely be standing and walking around for a few hours.

Don't try and dominate conversations when you're in the presence of other law students. Instead, try and include the people who aren't talking as much in your conversations. If you see a fellow law student, go say hi and be nice to them. Every lawyer observing you has been in this process. They know what it's like to deal with rude, cold people. They want to make sure they're hiring someone who can be collegial, even in a competitive and stressful process. 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

Judging by this thread, I feel like I just made a huge mistake by choosing to book a 2:30pm slot for a Monday interview. I really didn't think anything of it, I just usually prefer afternoons because that's when I'm the most fresh and capable of producing a good interview. But I get the impression that the earlier in the day you interview, the more it communicates interest?

LMP
  • Articling Student
43 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Judging by this thread, I feel like I just made a huge mistake by choosing to book a 2:30pm slot for a Monday interview. I really didn't think anything of it, I just usually prefer afternoons because that's when I'm the most fresh and capable of producing a good interview. But I get the impression that the earlier in the day you interview, the more it communicates interest?

The firms I went to in the morning rejected me. The firms I went to in the afternoon gave me offers. I think some firms are particular about timings, but 2:30pm on the first day isn't a bad time at all. The firm that gave me my first offer on call day was a 2:00pm interview. 

Windsorhopeful
  • Articling Student
15 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

This is a folks tale. It's pretty crazy, when you actually think about it, for recruiters to consider timeline of interviews to that degree. If you're a great candidate, the time of your interview is not going to lose you the position. Don't overthink it. 

Edited by Windsorhopeful

IllegalIllEagle
  • Applicant
On 10/29/2022 at 1:08 PM, Remedies said:

The above two posts have great info. I just want to add a few more points from my experience with the Vancouver recruit:

• The speed of communication was very indicative of their interest. If you don't hear back from a firm within an hour or two hours of your interview, then it's best to focus on the other firms. I wouldn't completely let go of the firms that reply slower though. It just means that they might not be as interested in you.
  • First choice language is very important! Tuesday afternoon seemed to be the safest option because some firms will tell you if they might not have a spot for you. If you get a lukewarm response or an outright rejection, you can focus on the other firms on Wednesday.
  • Absolutely do not first choice more than one firm. Most of the recruiters are definitely talking to each other.
  • You are not safe until offer day. You might first choice a firm and get a really great response but hear back a few hours later that they're not moving forward with you.
  • For receptions: you don't have to stay the whole time, but try to spend at least 30 minutes for each firm. I noticed some of the firms recording the time we entered and left (they would take our name tags before we leave).
  • For dinners: take your cues from the lawyers/interviewers, especially if you're the only student during the dinner. Don't order food that's more expensive than the lawyers' and don't get more drinks than they do
  •  Try to have a list of lawyers, practice areas, etc that you want to "meet next". A few firms will ask you during the interview who else you want to meet from the firm and you should have an answer or think up a response quickly.
  • Be careful about scheduling firms with minimal time in between. You need to have enough time to write a thank you email, respond to emails/schedule your next interview, and prep for the next firm.

Hey! Regarding first choice language - you said Tuesday afternoon. If ours is next week (Tuesday Wed Thurs, Friday the no contact offer day), would this be equivalent to Wed afternoon in our case?

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
7 minutes ago, IllegalIllEagle said:

Hey! Regarding first choice language - you said Tuesday afternoon. If ours is next week (Tuesday Wed Thurs, Friday the no contact offer day), would this be equivalent to Wed afternoon in our case?

Yes Wednesday is the equivalent but Thursday is the offer day, not Friday.

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

I'm a little confused about when to first-choice the firm I want. I have 5 final-round interviews next week. One is a third round/reception, the other 4 are second round in-firms which are over zoom. At what instance do I use the first choice language with the firm I want, knowing I may get cut after the interview, and how do I still indicate strong interest with the other firms without clearly stating first choice language? 

IllegalIllEagle
  • Applicant
6 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

Yes Wednesday is the equivalent but Thursday is the offer day, not Friday.

Friday is our offer day (Calgary recruit) would that push first choice to Thursday afternoon? 3rd day/day before offers?

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, IllegalIllEagle said:

Friday is our offer day (Calgary recruit) would that push first choice to Thursday afternoon? 3rd day/day before offers?

I'm not going to comment on the first choice insanity but the basic gist is the afternoon of the second day of interviews of the three days during the Toronto recruit. You can analogize from there.