Scholarships/bursaries in Canada?

Bananapple

Bananapple
  • Applicant

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what entrance scholarships in Canada look like? I know people in the US choose their schools based on the scholarship offers they get, but it doesn’t really seem that way here.

Also, are merit-based scholarships only cGPA based or do they take into account your LSAT score as well? I have a decently high LSAT but a lower GPA so I thought it might be worth asking.

Thanks!

Edited by Bananapple

Renerik
  • Law Student

You're right in that schools here give fewer and less extreme scholarships. US schools give out entrance scholarships with acceptances but that's not too common here. Many opt for handing out scholarships later in the cycle when many acceptances are already firm so you accept at a school without a guarantee you'll get anything (UNB has in the past let applicants you know with their acceptance if they were guaranteed to get something). 

I know a little bit more about UofA from reaching out to different people but in the past their entrance scholarships ranged from 2500-7500 and were sent out with acceptances. This year they weren't, and are instead being dished out this month. UofA has historically given out entrance scholarships for just GPA and some for GPA+LSAT (aka index).

Some index schools offer entrance scholarships based on index scores but most other schools' scholarships are GPA based. For example, a cursory glance at Western's scholarships over the last few years shows high a consideration for GPA with little attention to LSAT scores (3.85; 158 getting 10K vs 3.6; 175 with nothing). Despite utilizing B2 GPA for admissions, Western uses cGPA for scholarship considerations.

Edit: To my knowledge, named scholarships are not given out to applicants with admission offers, but later when classes are mostly picked.

Edited by Renerik