Day 2 First Interviews - Summer Student Recruit

lawtester

lawtester
  • Applicant

I have accepted a first interview with a firm on day 2, which I am now considering cancelling. I initially accepted the interview because I thought (and to an extent still do think) that having more options during the in-firm process would be better. However, I am now thinking that it might affect my scheduling for second interviews with the firms I have scheduled for day 1. Could someone kindly confirm how day 2 scheduling works? Are you given a time or are you able to select the time that works best for you? Also, is the timing of a day 2 interview still taken as an indication of interest? I would be happy to interview with the firm I have scheduled on day 2 but do not want to jeopardize my chances with the firms I have scheduled on day 1. Thank you! 

LMP
  • Articling Student

Is it just the one firm you have on day two? If so I don't think it'll be a scheduling block. 

As for the timing, I'm no expert but I'd imagine being on the second day is probably the biggest factor. If firms read into that sort of thing then you've already sent a signal of sorts. And if they don't then the timing on the second day would hardly matter.

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

If you have lots of in-firms on the first day, then just wait until you can't make the second interview (because of follow ups from day 1 that have been set) and cancel the day 2 interview. 

If you don't have a full slate of day 1 interviews, it goes without saying that you should not cancel the day 2 interview. If you only have one or two day 1 interviews, you can likely schedule your follow ups around the pre-booked first interview on day 2. 

Turtles
  • Law Student
11 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

If you have lots of in-firms on the first day, then just wait until you can't make the second interview (because of follow ups from day 1 that have been set) and cancel the day 2 interview. 

If you don't have a full slate of day 1 interviews, it goes without saying that you should not cancel the day 2 interview. If you only have one or two day 1 interviews, you can likely schedule your follow ups around the pre-booked first interview on day 2. 

This. Also I wouldn't worry. If you get call backs on Day 1 and you're confident enough that you don't want to waste time on the Day 2 interview, just politely email and drop them the evening of Day 1. It's in both of your interests not to waste each other's time and it's reasonable for you to have learned enough during Day 1 to make the decision.

VIPigeon
  • Law Student

I cancelled a day 2 interview during the Vancouver recruit last week when I needed that time to meet again with my top firm. I was really nervous about it but I received an understanding email back, and since it was day 2, they probably just used that time for their own second interviews. I think it’s understood that it happens! Good luck!