Advice for the 2L job-hunt post OCI recruit; is it okay to change firms?

goodisgood

capitalttruth
  • Law Student
30 minutes ago, Garfield said:

Lmao. This is why Bay Street is going to be as white as John Tory’s ass for decades to come. They love people who play high level sports because such people are: (1) similar to and just as privileged as the people hiring them. 

So it's true what they say in that adult life is just like high school lol.

Ben
  • Law Student
58 minutes ago, Garfield said:

Lmao. This is why Bay Street is going to be as white as John Tory’s ass for decades to come. They love people who play high level sports because such people are: (1) similar to and just as privileged as the people hiring them. 

Why do you think the population of people in law school who play(ed) varsity sports is less ethnically diverse than the population of people in law school overall? That doesn't really line up with my experience. 

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

There are definitely problems around hiring for fit. Most of the big firms are trying to address those problems, some more sincerely than others. 

With that said, it’s not a great look to belittle the accomplishments of others or suggest they don’t result in transferable skills. And yes, I would say the same thing to the private school kid that pretends being a server doesn’t teach you to be motivated and disciplined, work well in a team environment, and not be the kind of person that makes me want to quit my job. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
On 11/7/2022 at 9:26 AM, QueensDenning said:

Right, because everyone at Blakes et. al. are the clearly superior candidates, and no students fall through the cracks? It’s almost like there are way more suitable candidates that can do the job than jobs available… I guess that makes them all mediocre then. 

I know lots of objectively mediocre students at all the big firms. Being physically attractive and having played varsity level sports seems to go a very long way. 

You misread the post which is no surprise. I said if that a small firm can easily replace the candidate that jumps ship, that candidate was meh. The point is that if candidate is good, it is not "so easy" for that small firm to just go ahead and replace them with another fish in the sea.

I think there are lots of great students at small firms. It's why it's a dick move to treat the small firms as a bird in the hand while those students go hunting for better game. Honour your commitments or bet on yourself.

17 hours ago, Ben said:

Why do you think the population of people in law school who play(ed) varsity sports is less ethnically diverse than the population of people in law school overall? That doesn't really line up with my experience. 

My limited experience has been that the real big money sport for recuritment purposes is AAA or minor pro-league hockey. 

I'm sure other sports have their palce and value but I've got friends sitting down at big firms with a group of lawyers who all played in the same league as them. That's not something you can say about, I don't know, badminton. 

Which, going back to the original point, is why the diversity element comes into play. Because if you've ever seen a high level hockey team, it is pretty damn white. 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
23 minutes ago, LMP said:

My limited experience has been that the real big money sport for recuritment purposes is AAA or minor pro-league hockey. 

I'm sure other sports have their palce and value but I've got friends sitting down at big firms with a group of lawyers who all played in the same league as them. That's not something you can say about, I don't know, badminton. 

Which, going back to the original point, is why the diversity element comes into play. Because if you've ever seen a high level hockey team, it is pretty damn white. 

Even putting the debate about ethnic/racial diversity aside, it's absolutely and more obviously a socioeconomic class issue. It's hard to become an elite athlete when your parents were too broke or apathetic (or high on heroin) to take you to sports as a kid, you were raised by a single mom who didn't have the time or resources to facilitate that, you weren't given proper nutrition, or whathaveyou. More often than not people who compete at the varsity level had caretakers who invested in them.

• Like 4