CHANCES - OLSAS cGPA: 3.0 / B2: 3.30 / L2: 3.0 & LSAT 169

mountainsofmist

mountainsofmist

I'm gunning for UBC, UVIC, U of Alberta & Calgary, Queen's, Western, Ottawa. 

8 years work exp in public sector dealing with administrative law and tribunals. Applying as discretionary/access/mature ("I'm old...") 😛

Good references from my employer.

Give it to me straight boss(es), am I gonna live through this cycle?

Edited by mountainsofmist

• 2 weeks later...
thesamasaurus

You have a chance for sure. As a mature student, your work experience can compensate for your grades, and you have an excellent LSAT. We had similar apps, I had the same LSAT and cGPA, my B20 was better (3.9), but my work experience was much worse. I think it can be pretty random where splitters get offers, since there's a qualitative aspect to how the overall application reads. I applied on 2 cycles, and I got accepted to UBC, waitlisted to U of T, and accepted queens the first cycle, but i wanted to stay in Toronto. Second cycle I was accepted to entirely different schools, all of those 3 declined me, and i ended up at LASL. I'd suggest applying to as many schools as you can, creating an excellent narrative in your application materials, and being willing to try multiple attempts if needed. Good luck!

Edited by thesamasaurus
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
goodisgood
  • Law Student

Stats wise, you are almost a dead-ringer for me when I applied a few years ago as a mature/access applicant. This was when COVID was at its peak and it was a very competitive cycle (compared to recent years). I got into uOttawa, Windsor, and was waitlisted at Osgoode, Western, UBC, & Queens.

Mature/Access can be a bit of a unique category as our unique experiences are taken into account. That said, your experience sounds better than mine and I think you'd have a reasonable shot at some of the schools you want to apply for.

Best of luck. 

Edited by goodisgood
  • Thanks 1

danytea
  • Applicant

What's your % GPA for UBC? They have an index score formula that could predict your chance, however, keep in mind this formula is not absolutely accurate

mountainsofmist

UBC is 75% (with drops), so my index is quite low...less than 91 when I checked. I think that makes me a non-competitive candidate which I'm hoping my work and life experience will help to balance out. We shall see!

Edited by mountainsofmist

danytea
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, mountainsofmist said:

UBC is 75% (with drops), so my index is quite low...less than 91 when I checked. I think that makes me a non-competitive candidate which I'm hoping my work and life experience will help to balance out. We shall see!

An index score of less than 91 is quite low but as others have said, discretionary is very unpredictable. I believe as a mature applicant your experiences/contribution could balance out the weight of your GPA. However, make sure your personal statement is solid.
Good luck!

• Like 1