Job opportunities in the States

Lawstudent2401

Lawstudent2401
  • Law Student

Hi,

I’ve decided to move to Florida (for many personal reasons). I do not plan to go back to law school over there (I’m graduating this year from a Canadian law school) , but do you guys know what the different job opportunities / title would be over there for someone with a canadian law degree? I am open to anything, even if it is not related to law (politics, FLC, etc). 
Thank you!

erin otoole
  • Lawyer

If you ever want to practice you aren't eligable for the Florida Bar Exam with your Canadian JD alone. Just something you should consider. Hopefully someone more qualified than me  can speak to "JD advantage jobs". 

Turtles
  • Law Student
9 hours ago, Lawstudent2401 said:

I am open to anything, even if it is not related to law (politics, FLC, etc). 

Politics in Florida? That sounds miserable ngl.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 2:46 PM, Lawstudent2401 said:

I’ve decided to move to Florida (for many personal reasons). I do not plan to go back to law school over there (I’m graduating this year from a Canadian law school) , but do you guys know what the different job opportunities / title would be over there for someone with a canadian law degree? I am open to anything, even if it is not related to law (politics, FLC, etc). 
Thank you!

I'm assuming you are legally entitled to work in the US? i.e., you have citizen ship or a work visa?

If so, then the same jobs that would be available to you without a law degree. Assuming you want to work in a professional setting, maybe an entry level business or government position that doesn't require a specific background, like accounting.

A Canadian law degree may stand out in a good way on a resume ("oh hey, this person has a law degree; maybe they are smart and we should interview them"), but I could also see it working against you if they consider you a flight risk and/or just don't understand why you'd go to law school and not become a lawyer. 

Law jobs won't be open to you unless you get called in FL. There may be a way to do that by getting called in NY first, and then transferring to FL, but I'm not sure about that.

• Like 1