Interested in medical law

thami

thami
  • Undergrad

Hi guys! 

I'm currently studying at the University of Toronto, majoring in Law, Ethics & Society and Bioethics. 

I was thinking of doing a masters in Bioethics before enrolling into law school and was wondering if this was a good idea. 

Is this something I should be disclosing when applying to law school? Do they care to know what career path you're looking into etc.?

Would anyone happen to have any recommendations of places I could volunteer at in Toronto? 

Thanks in advance!! 

As a general rule, if you want to practice law go to law school ASAP. While additional degrees and experience may help they will not make as substantial of a difference as you think. 

• Like 1

TheDevilIKnow
  • Lawyer

I agree with Ramesses. When you're in the middle of law school, applying for jobs, it is very unlikely - I will not say impossible - that a two-year detour into a master's is going to make the difference for you. Most employers, even if there is a medical angle to what they do, are likely to be more focused on what you have accomplished during law school. 

A side-point, but one which is relevant to your plans, is that "medical law" is not really one distinct area of legal practice. There is medical malpractice litigation, medical college conduct investigations and hearings, drafting of medicine-related laws or policies (by a legislature or a health authority), or even intellectual property law relating to medical device or pharmaceutical patterns. These different activities, which could call be described as "medical law", may all be practiced in different settings/firms/public bodies - there won't be one "medical law" employer where you will do all these things.

My point, in this context, is that while your interest in medical law is perfectly legitimate, in reality a practice involving medicine can take many forms and it's entirely possible that you will end up involved in one that would have no relation to the Master's your contemplating. For instance, in malpractice litigation, academic theory - however cogent - on medical ethics may well be irrelevant to the standard of care, a distinct legal concept that develops in its own way. The former, while it may give you lots to say in court, is likely to be legally irrelevant to the latter.

• Like 2