Law School Admission

Abysinian

Abysinian
  • Applicant

Hello, Everyone  

I was hoping if someone can give me insight on the chances of getting admission to law schools with three years degree as opposed to four years degree.

Thank you in advance.

Abysinian
  • Applicant

I am in my third year at York Currently; I was referring to law schools on average, i.e., Windsor 

• Lawyer

No Honours degree, just Bachelor's? You need a high GPA and LSAT score to be competitive. 

Obligatory: in Ontario an Honour’s degree simply means a four year degree. Elsewhere it means a degree with some level of specialization involving required upper year courses. 

• Like 2

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
On 7/8/2021 at 11:14 PM, Hegdis said:

Obligatory: in Ontario an Honour’s degree simply means a four year degree. Elsewhere it means a degree with some level of specialization involving required upper year courses. 

Really? I don't think this is the case at Western.

Happy to be corrected. But I remember as a BC applicant in Ontario waaaaay back it confused the hell out of me. 

LMP
  • Articling Student
11 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

Happy to be corrected. But I remember as a BC applicant in Ontario waaaaay back it confused the hell out of me. 

At my school there was a difference. You could do a 4 year general degree which didn't require the specific upper level pre-reqs that an honours degree did.

Renerik
  • Law Student

Stolen from wikipedia

"In Canada there are two type of honours degree. Some universities, especially in Ontario, award honours after four years of undergraduate study, instead of the three years of a 'general' bachelor's degree. The degree Examples include Queen's University[21] and York University.[22] In those universities, honours students may undertake an honours thesis.[23][24]

Some other universities, such as McGill University, University of Ottawa, University of Western Ontario, University of British Columbia, Concordia University and Dalhousie University, require students to undertake an honours project in order to graduate with honours."

I think that Hedgis was trying to say that outside Ontario, Honours almost exclusively means engaging in a senior-year research project while in Ontario it can often mean just completing a 4 instead of 3 year degree.

Edited by Renerik
  • Like 1

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
11 hours ago, Renerik said:

Some other universities, such as McGill University, University of Ottawa, University of Western Ontario, University of British Columbia, Concordia University and Dalhousie University, require students to undertake an honours project in order to graduate with honours."

I think that Hedgis was trying to say that outside Ontario, Honours almost exclusively means engaging in a senior-year research project while in Ontario it can often mean just completing a 4 instead of 3 year degree.

I can say for certain this Wikipedia entry is outdated. I just got an Honours degree without doing a project. Before I was given the Honours portion, I was going to get a 4-year Bachelor of Arts degree.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Goblin King
  • Law Student
11 hours ago, Renerik said:

McGill University, University of Ottawa, University of Western Ontario, University of British Columbia, Concordia University and Dalhousie University, require students to undertake an honours project in order to graduate with honours."

This is not the case at uOttawa. Honours degrees in my program didn't even have the option of doing a research project. Most honours degrees at UO require either an honours project or a number of upper year courses. uOttawa also offers 4 year general degrees without as much upper year specialization.