Anyone Got In With Their January LSAT Score?

Canlawforumuser123

Canlawforumuser123
  • Applicant

Hi everyone! Had some doubts on the upcoming January LSAT for this cycle! I've already applied for this cycled through OLSAS to all Ontario law schools before Nov 1, and will be applying to all out-of-province law schools as well soon (they have later deadlines).

This time my PTs are at low 150s so I'm planning to take the January LSAT. My other application parts are strong (GPA, Personal Statement, References, Leadership Roles, Work Experiences, Volunteering, Research, Awards) so it's only the LSAT I'm concerned with. The doubt I have is whether anyone has gotten in to ANY law school on the basis of their January LSAT score? Glad to know some applicant profiles for some idea!

If law schools do accept applicants on their Jan LSAT, I can then study more for Nov + Dec (2 more months) and perform better while the rest of my application is already completed. Also because being currently in the fall term of my final year, I still need to report my new transcript with this semester's marks to OLSAS and the out-of-province law schools separately (which will come out in end-December). I assume all law schools would want to see this semester's marks as well.

For the OLSAS application I have not reported my LSAT yet (thinking to do the same for the other law schools as well until I get the new score). Is there any issues/disadvantages to this/should I immediately report my LSAT with its previous score (not good), or wait for the new score and report once received?

Also, IF all Canadian schools have less seats to fill in by the time I'm done with the Jan LSAT and get my results in end-January, would applying nation-wide better help me to get in (with an LSAT score between a 156-164 or something like that)? Will be great for some insight into this.

On the side: My OLSAS GPA details:- CGPA: 3.7286, L2/B2: 3.8056, B20: 3.87, L12: 3.9

Edited by Canlawforumuser123

PackerLaw
  • Law School Admit

I got into Windsor two years ago with a January LSAT. I had cancelled my first take from October and rewrote in January. I only got a 155 and my LSAT mark wasn't received by some schools until early February. I was accepted late May and never waitlisted. Ended up doing a graduate degree instead and I am now reapplying with a higher LSAT. 

If you don't think your current score will get you into a school, better to cancel and get a score that a school will consider. If they know you are rewriting anyway, they are likely to wait until they receive your later score to make a decision anyway. You have to decide whether you are confident that you will improve and that your current score will not be competitive anywhere. 

I personally had a score I thought was too low (153 - cancelled), so I rewrote and got accepted with a 155. Best of luck to you. Hope that helps! 

Schools will need to see your transcript for Fall and Winter semesters. You can submit requests through OLSAS to have them sent right away when they are released. 

Edited by PackerLaw
  • Like 1

Canlawforumuser123
  • Applicant

Thanks for the update @PackerLaw! Really helpful

It’s amazing you got an offer that time from Windsor! Was it for the Dual or Regular JD)? If it’s okay, will be great if you can share a bit on how your other parts of the application were for a better idea (GPA, Personal Statement, References, Leadership Roles, Work Experiences, Volunteering, Research, Awards etc.).

Did you also apply to all Ontario law and out-of-province schools or selected certain schools? I think that would make a difference in choices as well.

As the LSAT is basically the ONLY part where I’m working on (rest of the application is done), it will be great to know what LSAT score should I be getting at least to get an acceptance at Windsor or anywhere else in Ontario/out-of-province. Without the LSAT record reported the OLSAS application is still an ‘incomplete file’ though, so glad to hear your input here as well! 

My current score is not competitive so I will be taking the next LSAT. I haven’t reported this on the OLSAS application yet (thinking of doing the same for the out-of-province schools too until I get my new score). If there is any issue/disadvantage to this approach (or I should report my LSAT record immediately) it will be great to know!

Thanks for your time once again!

Edited by Canlawforumuser123

PackerLaw
  • Law School Admit

It was for the single JD. My GPA was 3.6. I felt my personal statement at the time was pretty average, not really unique in any way. I don't think my references were all that strong, compared to the ones I have for this cycle. I did have a lot of leadership and extra-curricular roles including significant work on student government and on the executive of several campus clubs. I applied to most Ontario schools. Not Lakehead or Ryerson. I didn't apply out of province.

You should aim to get above a mid-150 if you want to get in anywhere in Canada. 160 range should ensure you get in somewhere but if everything else in the application is strong, a mid-155+ could get you in at some schools. 

Not sure if I'm following what you are saying about reporting your score. You should report that you are writing again and you want the score to be reported to schools asap. If you currently have a low 150 or worse, you may want to consider cancelling it. Schools probably won't accept you if they know you are writing again and your current score isn't competitive. I can't advise on what to do, but when it happened to me, I cancelled my low 150 score and applied with my January score.

Canlawforumuser123
  • Applicant

Thanks for your update again @PackerLaw! Appreciate it!

What I meant by reporting the score is to submit my LSAC number through OLSAS and separately to the out-of-province schools. I haven't done this yet. but should I do this now with my low score or submit when I get my higher Jan LSAT score? 

Your input's been very helpful! Glad to hear what you think about my brief profile besides the LSAT:-

- OLSAS GPA:- CGPA: 3.7286, L2/B2: 3.8056, Last 12 credits: 3.8, Lowest 12 credits dropped: 3.8375, Lowest 25% of credits (18 credits): 3.8636, Best 20 Half-Courses: 3.87, Last 12 Credits: 3.9

- Personal Statement/Optional Essay/Access Claim: showed my link to the law through work, leadership, past diversity challenge, & personal values. Also attached my medical docs for impacted LSAT performance due to chest pain

-References: 1 from PolSci Prof (Got A+ in course), 1 from Real Estate Brokerage Manager, 1 from Real Estate Law Course Professor (got A in course)

- Work Experience: Realtor (1.6 yrs ongoing), Banking (3 Months), Fast-food Restaurant (1 yr) 

- Leadership: political leadership roles from 2015 (Election Campaigner, Youth Delegate, MLA, & Party Member), literary association member from 2014 (into book releases & promotional events)

- Volunteering: Community Kitchen Helper from Sept 2019 (Every weekend)

- Research: seminar presentation for a university course

- Awards: On faculty’s achievement list consecutively from Yr 1-3 (ongoing), best delegate awardee at Cambridge UK Modern UN, 1 university scholarship, 1 high school scholarship

Sorry for any repetition if so! 🙂 first time in the process so I'm curious!

ellemm
  • Law Student

Hey! We are in the exact same position.

I am actually writing my Jan LSAT in hopes to get in for the Sept 2023 intake, currently in my fourth year of undergrad. You should be fine, I called the schools I wanted to apply to that had a November/December deadline for applications, and they said as long as they have all of the other paperwork, they can wait until my LSAT score comes in. Just make sure you call and let them know your situation, don't just take this piece of advice from me as fact. As for your undergrad grades, I believe this semester you are in would be the last completed semester that law schools can see, if you are trying to apply for the 2023 intake. If I am wrong, I apologize, and I hope someone can clarify. As for your PT scores, I think you need to hit the books harder - get those high 160s, that will ensure your admission. I know you can do it, I believe in you!!

I would just call their admissions department, and ask them any question you possibly can. 

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to PM me. 🙂

Canlawforumuser123
  • Applicant

Thanks for your input @ellkay! Great to know I am not alone in the process lol 

Do you have a previous score as well? I assume you would have your non-LSAT parts of the application done for this cycle, how they look like if you don't mind mentioning!

Deciding my application strength based on the LSAT vs everything else non-LSAT can be daunting at times lol 

ellemm
  • Law Student

I have never written the LSAT, but am taking the Jan 2023 one, and have been prepping since October 2021. I wanted to take my time, and ensure I was taking it when I was 100% ready. Usually when I rush myself on things, I tend to tank them. Lol. I am currently scoring in the 160s. To be honest, I would be happy with a 160. I remember a lawyer friend of mine saying "expect to drop 10 points in your real LSAT versus the practices". Do I think this is the absolute truth? Not necessarily. But I think you should condition this piece of advice in your head, so you put more pressure on yourself.

My Undergrad GPA is a 3.9-4.0, depending on what these final grades in my fall semester will be, so I have a bit of an advantage and some wiggle room for this damn LSAT score. I think you still have time to get a higher GPA. Work your butt off during this semester. I think, in my opinion, if you get a higher GPA, your chances would increase quite a bit. You can always re-take an LSAT, but it is very hard to re-take university classes.

My other parts of my application include: two letters of recommendation: a partner from one from the largest firm in the world, and the other will be from one of my professors. Other past credentials would be that I have worked in the federal government for three years, and have extensive legal work prior to applying for law school. I was also a legal assistant for three years, and have a legal assistant certificate from the same university I am doing my undergrad. I am a little bit "older", mind you, at 28 years old, when I will be applying all around, so there also this aspect of "life experience". 

Depending on where you want to apply, other factors are important (ie recommendation letters, volunteer work, etc etc), but I would heavily focus on 1. your grades, and 2. your LSAT.  It depends where you are applying. Some schools don't care as much about the extra things, as long as you are in a competitive zone with your LSAT score and GPA.

Like I said, if you have any questions, please PM me with anything. You got this!! 🙂

Canlawforumuser123
  • Applicant

Thanks for the update @Wylinjabi! Appreciated

It’s amazing you got accepted on both Jan & Feb! If it’s okay, will be great if you can share a bit on how your LSAT score was with the other parts of the application for a better idea (GPA, Personal Statement, References, Leadership Roles, Work Experiences, Volunteering, Research, Awards etc.).

Also I'm curious on the schools that accepted those LSAT scores. Did you apply to all Ontario law and out-of-province schools or selected certain schools? I think that would make a difference in choices as well.

Thanks once again!