Day 3 Interview

BetterCallPaul

BetterCallPaul
  • Law Student

Just finished Day 2 with my top choice firm. I expressed first choice language and heard things like: "let us know if there is anything you need to make an informed decision" and "everyone really likes you." But I got invited back for another interview tomorrow. What can I expect? Should I still be in "sell" mode, or can I be confident in receiving an offer?

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student

It's a good thing to be getting invited back for Day 3, and that's totally what I'd expect if they're going to make you an offer. There are no sure things, but it's a great indicator. They'll likely be trying to sell you for most of it (despite that you've already told them they're your first choice), so come prepped with a lot of questions. 

Edited by Pecan Boy
  • Thanks 1

PePeHalpert
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, BetterCallPaul said:

I expressed first choice language and heard things like: "let us know if there is anything you need to make an informed decision" and "everyone really likes you." 

What exactly did you say?  The firms want certainty and are looking for specific words. Every year, the students get a little craftier with their language and find some new way to use "first choice" language without actually making a commitment.  Could be that they are inviting you back because they want you to maintain your interest or it could be that they still aren't sure you would accept an offer. 

BetterCallPaul
  • Law Student

I said "[firm] is my first choice" to one of the interviewers and the recruiter. I think I will also include it in my thank you emails.

• Like 1

ccounsel2024
  • Law Student

I literally thought there wouldn't be a third interview bc I met the major people at the firm, but looks like there'll be another one tomorrow. I'm exhausted. Good luck to everyone! 

Turtles
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, PePeHalpert said:

What exactly did you say?  The firms want certainty and are looking for specific words. Every year, the students get a little craftier with their language and find some new way to use "first choice" language without actually making a commitment.  Could be that they are inviting you back because they want you to maintain your interest or it could be that they still aren't sure you would accept an offer. 

Maybe I just don't understand this, but you either communicate in a way that makes the listener infer a first choice commitment or you don't. If you craft language to use special words that make the listener think you first choiced, and then reject an offer, they don't have tapes to go back to re-listen to your precise words to only then realize you said something else. They'd only assume you said what they had thought and lied. Written email obviously being a different story.

2 minutes ago, thegleeproject said:

Is not getting called back for day 3 a bad sign?

Not every firm does day 3 interviews. 

For those that do, the 3rd day interview can have a couple of purposes. It might be because they feel you're not going to an accept an offer and want to persuade you. 

Or they might be on the fence about offering you a position and want to have one last look before making a choice. 

Turtles
  • Law Student
6 minutes ago, thegleeproject said:

Is not getting called back for day 3 a bad sign?

Ask your friends if they did. Possible you got cut, possible the firm doesn't do Day 3s, possible you first choiced them and they want you and don't feel the need to sell you. 

If you're worried, set up a call with the student director or associate host or whomever and ask where you stand / ask to meet a certain person (interest area or diversity group). 

boxesoforanges
  • Law Student

I got a third round interview at a firm that does third day routinely. Found out immediately after my interview but havent gotten a confirmation yet.  What do third days look like at firms that do a third day for everyone that moves on?

ZukoJD
  • Law Student

Never mind I guess. Apparently invitations to return can be rescinded. 

Edited by ZukoJD

Turtles
  • Law Student
Just now, ZukoJD said:

Never mind I guess. Apparently invitations to return can be rescinded at will. 

What happened?

ZukoJD
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, Turtles said:

What happened?

They invited me back this morning. Then they changed their mind an hour ago. Pretty upset ngl.

Edited by ZukoJD
  • Sad 6

BetterCallPaul
  • Law Student

So my situation has changed, and I was hoping to get some advice. A recruiter from my 2nd choice firm told me I was a "top candidate," and they scheduled an interview for tomorrow. I was careful not to use first-choice language with the firm throughout these past two days.

Ideally, I would like a job with my 1st choice, but I also want to ensure I get a job, period. How can I conduct myself tomorrow so that if I don't get an offer from my 1st, there is still a likelihood that I will get an offer from my 2nd?

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student
16 minutes ago, anc1991 said:

Hi, does anyone know if Gowling does day 3 interviews? Has anyone heard back from them today?

I know someone with a Day 3 interview with Gowling. 

anc1991
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, Pecan Boy said:

I know someone with a Day 3 interview with Gowling. 

Thanks for letting me know! I guess I will just have to wait and find out…

lawstudent1407
  • Law Student
39 minutes ago, anc1991 said:

Hi, does anyone know if Gowling does day 3 interviews? Has anyone heard back from them today?

I think Gowling may do day 3 on a as needed basis. I got the vibe today that they were trying to sell me on the firm. I asked if I could/should come in tomorrow and they said they felt that they had a good impression of me already but that I was welcome to come back if I felt like I had any more questions for them or wanted to speak with anyone else

anc1991
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, lawstudent1407 said:

I think Gowling may do day 3 on a as needed basis. I got the vibe today that they were trying to sell me on the firm. I asked if I could/should come in tomorrow and they said they felt that they had a good impression of me already but that I was welcome to come back if I felt like I had any more questions for them or wanted to speak with anyone else

That’s awesome, thanks for your input! Best of luck!

Byzantine
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, BetterCallPaul said:

So my situation has changed, and I was hoping to get some advice. A recruiter from my 2nd choice firm told me I was a "top candidate," and they scheduled an interview for tomorrow. I was careful not to use first-choice language with the firm throughout these past two days.

Ideally, I would like a job with my 1st choice, but I also want to ensure I get a job, period. How can I conduct myself tomorrow so that if I don't get an offer from my 1st, there is still a likelihood that I will get an offer from my 2nd?

My experience is from going through the Vancouver recruit. I would say just show that you’re really interested in the firm both in your interview directly and thank you emails. If you get pressed by them on whether they’re your first choice, my CSO suggested saying something like “you’re one of my top choices”. You can definitely get an offer from your 2nd choice firm, although it’s not guaranteed. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BetterCallPaul said:

I told the firm that was my second choice they were my second choice and they still gave me an offer. 

You don't have to be that blunt if you don't feel comfortable. Just say something like you've really enjoyed meeting everyone there the past few days and you'd welcome the opportunity to work there, something like that. As long as you don't say they're your first choice they won't think you've misled them if you turn them down tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, ZukoJD said:

They invited me back this morning. Then they changed their mind an hour ago. Pretty upset ngl.

This is fairly common. Sometimes your host or a lawyer who doesn't know the whole picture invites you back for day 3 after your second-interview. But then everyone gets together day 2 evening and they decide who they want to offer and who they're going to cut. 

It's always a bitter experience and I'm sorry to hear it's one you're going through. I wish you the best for tomorrow and I hope things work out in the end. 

BetterCallPaul
  • Law Student

Thanks for the input. I just don't want to find myself leaving this process empty-handed. To follow up, if the 2nd choice firm reaches out first with an offer, is it okay to say: "can I take some time to think this over" and wait a bit for a call from my 1st choice?

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student
6 minutes ago, BetterCallPaul said:

Thanks for the input. I just don't want to find myself leaving this process empty-handed. To follow up, if the 2nd choice firm reaches out first with an offer, is it okay to say: "can I take some time to think this over" and wait a bit for a call from my 1st choice?

Yes, of course. You're not obligated to make a decision immediately 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BetterCallPaul said:

Someone else (probably Blocked Quebecois) would know better but I recall there's a rule that firms have to keep the offer open for 24 hours or something. If they call you at 5 PM tomorrow, they have to give you at least a day to decide. That's what I remember but I could be wrong. 

• Like 1