Internal Transfers

Vmccal

Hi everyone. I’m wondering what the general attitude is around transferring between cities for the same firm (different office locations). Specifically, for an articling student either during articling or right after. Reason has nothing to do with the firm - it’s purely personal (to be with fiancé). Is this something you can bring up with your firm? Will they be more accepting because it is internal? Or is it pretty much like switching to a totally different firm and you should seek out employment on your own first instead of approaching your own firm for help? 

Edited by Vmccal
Condense

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

This is very firm dependent. Some firms are more integrated than others, and that will affect how your request is received.

Regardless of how integrated it is, firms don’t like to lose talented people. If your firm thinks you have potential and there’s space in the other office, they’re generally going to prefer keeping you at the firm. If they were considering not hiring you back, however, they might refuse the request in the hopes that you’ll opt out and pad their hire back stats. 

Regarding pursuing other opportunities first, I’m not sure why you would do that unless you don’t actually want to work at your current firm. If your preference is to stay there but in another office, you should obviously ask them if they can accommodate that before quitting and finding a new gig. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

I haven't really heard of it during articling - the jurisdictional issues make it difficult. But after articling? It does happen, though more often with a year or two (or more) underneath an associate's belt rather than right away. But it can happen. As BQ notes, it depends on the firm's structure - some firms are fully integrated (mine for example - associates have transferred to Vancouver and Calgary from Toronto and vice versa, not infrequently) while others might as well be the same firm in name alone and less easily sorted.

Not sure why you'd look for a job before speaking to your current folks - that's only if you really want to leave.

• 2 years later...
lawnut
  • Law Student

Any update on how this went for you? Currently considering something similar although the reason is more so that I would love to live in toronto while still young 

• 3 weeks later...
Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

As above, it is really firm-dependent.  Not only do you have to be valued as "strong hireback material" by the office you are leaving, but there also has to be a need for you (after all their own articling students are placed in practice groups or let go) in the Toronto office.  It's a risky move because if Toronto says "I'm sure they are great, but we just don't have a need" then you don't get your move and you've alienated your current office / identified yourself as a flight risk.  Whereas, if you look for a job in Toronto at a different firm, at least you can keep that confidential from your current employer.

Edited by Dinsdale