Accepting Multiple Offers

Sacamano

Sacamano
  • Law Student

I'm quite curious if anyone has been in (or knows of anyone) in this situation:

Your first choice has let you know that you are essentially on a waitlist, and may not receive an offer. 5pm comes and your second choice calls and you accept, thinking there's a good chance you won't get the position at your first choice.

Later, first choice calls back and says due to people declining, they want to extend an offer, which you do want to accept. 

Curious if this has happened to anyone, lots of chatting between friends who are worried about this right now.

Edited by Sacamano

omigone
  • Law Student

You're allowed to hold any offer for up to 24 hours! I would do that while you wait to hear from your first choice.

Sacamano
  • Law Student

I definitely concur that's what should be done!

I was moreso just curious about the situation wherein someone actually accepts the 2nd choice firm - then shortly after hears back from 1st choice and wants to accept.

frankconners
  • Lawyer

Why would you accept right away, particularly if it's your second choice? Just say thank you to everyone who calls and let them know that you'll get back to them ASAP, as you are permitted to under the LSO rules.

About3iqPoints
  • Law Student

In that situation, ask your second choice for a few minutes to consider, then call your first choice and ask where you stand. 

KOMODO
  • Lawyer

If you have already accepted your second choice,  you should go work there. Calling back to revoke your acceptance is something the lawyers at that firm will remember forever; don't do it.

shibainuofthenorth
  • Lawyer

I get it that you really like your first-choice and hence why the first-choice. But like others already pointed out, the rules say you can hold offers for 24hrs, so if you didn't take advantage of that and accepted your 2nd choice, you probably should stick with what you accepted.

• 3 weeks later...
ribbitbibbit
  • Law Student

What about outside of the recruit process?

For example, if I interview with a firm this week and get an offer, but my number one job choice is OSC, and their interviews don't occur until mid-February. 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
On 11/28/2022 at 1:28 PM, ribbitbibbit said:

What about outside of the recruit process?

For example, if I interview with a firm this week and get an offer, but my number one job choice is OSC, and their interviews don't occur until mid-February. 

People will tell you its against the rules, which it is (inside or outside of the official recruit), but you have to make your own decisions. No one (including your school's CDO) is looking out for your best interests only, to exclusion of others' interests, except for yourself. Common advice would suggest you stop recruiting after you accept an offer, but I don't necessarily believe that's the optimal course of action depending on the circumstances. My $0.02!