Any advice for an international student?

Ossss

Ossss
  • Law Student

Hey everyone!

I am an international student and English is not my first language, so I'm trying to articulate my situation:)

Here is my background:

cGPA:3.6 LSAT:170

TOEFL:105

I wanna try to apply the U of T, and it seems less likely,because of my GPA. In fact, my university have a really strict standard on the score, I'm already in the top five of the 400 with the 3.6/4.0

So should I explain my situation to the university I wanna apply or how should I do this?

Really appreciate for your help:)

Edited by Reyooo

ProudCrocodile
  • Law School Admit

I'm also an international student with similar background info, top 10% of the class and 171 lsat, tho my university is less harsh and my gpa in 3.75/4.0 range(The best in my class got 3.78). But I will not even try U of T because of the financial pressure. Thinking of others schools. Want some advice from u folks in terms of explaining the GPA. 

Disbarred
  • Law Student

Considering mentioning it in a personal statement, but in a way that doesn’t come across as an excuse: “while doing so and so I managed to succeed at a high level in undergrad finishing 5th out of 400 students” 

• Thanks 1

Ossss
  • Law Student
10 hours ago, Licn said:

I'm also an international student with similar background info, top 10% of the class and 171 lsat, tho my university is less harsh and my gpa in 3.75/4.0 range(The best in my class got 3.78). But I will not even try U of T because of the financial pressure. Thinking of others schools. Want some advice from u folks in terms of explaining the GPA. 

Awesome!You can definitely get offers from the schools you want to go to!

8 hours ago, Disbarred said:

Considering mentioning it in a personal statement, but in a way that doesn’t come across as an excuse: “while doing so and so I managed to succeed at a high level in undergrad finishing 5th out of 400 students” 

That's a good method! Thanks for your help!

SYANG09
  • Applicant
On 7/5/2021 at 10:53 PM, Licn said:

Your LSAT is good enough to land you at every school apart from UoT (you still have a good chance getting into Toronto). With your scores, it would be get you auto admission to UBC before they started to look at PS last cycle.

SYANG09
  • Applicant

I've high cGPA (3.88/4.0), my first LSAT was in the lower 160s. I'll rewrite and aim for high 160s or maybe lower 170s. I heard that American schools may require higher LSAT from int'l applicants since they don't value foreign undergrad studies (esp. those not taught in English) as much as domestic ones, unless you went to a world class uni like Oxbridge. Though that is never attested. Last cycle the race for top U.S. schools was crazy. There were more than usual applicants last cycle and the schools didn't anticipate so many of them with near-perfect GPA/LSAT and impeccable PS/ECs. I'm say even with my GPA and 170+ LSAT my odds of getting into T14 is still low. This may not hold for Canadian school.

Law school admission in Canada is much more predictable and less intense, with only UoT bearing T14-level entry requirement. Basically some schools only look at your hard (e.g. Alberta), and you would get auto admitted once passing the threshold according to their formula. Things might have changed due to COVID-19. These ones are surely advantageous for KJD imo since they don't have as much working experience as mature students. Also you have Osgoode which is known to employ holistic criteria. I know that an int'l student with low LSAT like 163 and strong ECs got into Oz in the last cycle.

Edited by SYANG09

luckycharm
On 7/5/2021 at 9:42 AM, Reyooo said:

Hey everyone!

I am an international student and English is not my first language, so I'm trying to articulate my situation:)

Here is my background:

cGPA:3.6 LSAT:170

TOEFL:105

I wanna try to apply the U of T, and it seems less likely,because of my GPA. In fact, my university have a really strict standard on the score, I'm already in the top five of the 400 with the 3.6/4.0

So should I explain my situation to the university I wanna apply or how should I do this?

Really appreciate for your help:)

PM me if you know who are 777 and 689

Edited by luckycharm
  • LOL 1