My story: when you first-choiced firm did not get back to you in a timely manner

Riverdale

KOMODO
  • Lawyer

I really don't think it's that complicated....it just relates to the size of the market and the amount of cash floating around in it. When your average deals are in the billions of dollars range rather than the millions of dollars range, and there are thousands of them rather than hundreds of them, there's just a lot more cushion to go around. Hundred thousand dollar+ signing bonuses aren't going to massively impact these huge NYC firms that hire 100 first year associates or whatever and pay them all ridiculous salaries while still paying their partners massive profits. Conversely, on Bay Street, those kinds of sums are much more carefully guarded.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ohshmagoda said:

I don’t have data to support this, but I think it’s a function of the class/status dynamics in the states. It strikes me that prestige/status (i.e. clerkships, Ivy League schools, etc.) are more important socially/culturally/professionally than up in Canada. Being able to get the job done is valuable, but much less valuable than the value of networks and social capital, etc.

That makes sense to me. I hadn't consided the importance of perception from outside the firm.