How much easier is the Ottawa recruit compared to Toronto?

newbie99

newbie99
  • Law Student

Student at the University of Ottawa that made it to the in-firm stage in Toronto but ultimately struck out. What are my odds for Ottawa?

• LOL 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

There are about one tenth the number of positions in the Ottawa recruit compared to the Toronto recruit, so...not easier at all.

• LOL 1
  • Nom! 2

newbie99
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

There are about one tenth the number of positions in the Ottawa recruit compared to the Toronto recruit, so...not easier at all.

Not as many applicants though...

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
5 minutes ago, newbie99 said:

Not as many applicants though...

You'll have better luck getting the responses you want if you start a new thread with the title "tell me that the Ottawa recruit is easier than the Toronto recruit."

Hope that helps.

• LOL 5

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Lol.

All things considered I do think the Ottawa recruit is slightly less competitive. I know a few people who struck out in Toronto and got offers in Ottawa. Very anecdotal, but from my school/people I talk to, all who wanted Ottawa jobs secured them during the Ottawa recruit - the same certainly cannot be said for TO. 

Edited by QueensDenning

LMP
  • Articling Student

I think you're going to UO will give you a bit of an edge. From what I know firms in Ottawa are often concerned about students coming for a summer and then jumping ship back to Toronto. 

WhoKnows
  • Lawyer
48 minutes ago, LMP said:

I think you're going to UO will give you a bit of an edge. From what I know firms in Ottawa are often concerned about students coming for a summer and then jumping ship back to Toronto. 

This is correct, and if you act in a way that indicates to the firm Ottawa is your second choice and you're going to Toronto the first chance you get, I can assure you the Ottawa recruit will be harder. 

• LOL 1

reaperlaw
  • Lawyer

If you go to UO, probably better. If you go to most other schools, probably worse.

I don't know if there is any firm besides Gowling, BLG, and NRF that hire more than 5 students regularly, and while Gowling/BLG look like they have large articling cohorts, a chunk of those were IP recruit hires and in recent years both Gowling and BLG have hired several students during articling recruit. 

As much as Ottawa firms have talked more in recent years about diversifying (and in particular from non-UO schools), I have heard this has backfired in the last couple cycles with students choosing not to return and associates leaving for better paying cities. This year, I wouldn't be surprised if firms are even more in-tune to hiring students who aren't flight risks.

All else equal Ottawa is probably less competitive from a grades perspective, but that doesn't mean it's easier. My firm has rejected for in-firms' students with stellar grades (e.g. mostly or straight-A equivalent) from schools like Western and UoT because they weren't the right fit or they had half-assed cover letters.

Edited by reaperlaw
  • Like 3

MiceInRice
  • Articling Student

I can't find it anymore but Ultra Vires had posted some stats from last year's recruit. From what I remember it was clear that OttawaU placed the most students (e.g. I think NRF hired 7 students - all OttawaU students). Mind you, I remember that almost half the firms didn't respond to the survey. Anyways, the Ottawa recruit is far from being non-competitive and every firm will want to know why you're interested in Ottawa. I've also read a post on this forum stating that a couple firms will not interview students who applied to their Toronto office.

frenchie
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, MiceInRice said:

I can't find it anymore but Ultra Vires had posted some stats from last year's recruit. From what I remember it was clear that OttawaU placed the most students (e.g. I think NRF hired 7 students - all OttawaU students). Mind you, I remember that almost half the firms didn't respond to the survey. Anyways, the Ottawa recruit is far from being non-competitive and every firm will want to know why you're interested in Ottawa. I've also read a post on this forum stating that a couple firms will not interview students who applied to their Toronto office.

That doesn't seem right, uottawa had a oci debrief session a few days ago and almost all the panelist were summering in ottawa had struck out during the toronto recruit.

MiceInRice
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, frenchie said:

That doesn't seem right, uottawa had a oci debrief session a few days ago and almost all the panelist were summering in ottawa had struck out during the toronto recruit.

Here it is. Guess it was one, not a couple. Take it for what it's worth.

Turtles
  • Law Student

I had someone in the Ottawa IP recruit tell me I don't seem like the person who would want to live in Ottawa, that I was better suited to a big city like Toronto and a bigger Bay St firm, and didn't seem too impressed when I said I was attracted by the cost of real estate in Ottawa to start a family (in hindsight maybe because this firm doesn't pay enough to buy half a cardboard box). They promptly rejected me but liked my LinkedIn update when I started working at a Bay St firm. 

If you have ties to Ottawa and can convince them that you're not a flight risk, you'll at least have one thing working in your favor.

• Like 1

thrill
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, Turtles said:

I had someone in the Ottawa IP recruit tell me I don't seem like the person who would want to live in Ottawa, that I was better suited to a big city like Toronto and a bigger Bay St firm, and didn't seem too impressed when I said I was attracted by the cost of real estate in Ottawa to start a family (in hindsight maybe because this firm doesn't pay enough to buy half a cardboard box). They promptly rejected me but liked my LinkedIn update when I started working at a Bay St firm. 

If you have ties to Ottawa and can convince them that you're not a flight risk, you'll at least have one thing working in your favor.

the "liked my linkedin update" was a funny tidbit, i wonder how much attention they pay when scrolling linkedin

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, Turtles said:

They promptly rejected me but liked my LinkedIn update when I started working at a Bay St firm. 

So in other words, you proved them right. lol

• 2 months later...
bubbles
  • Law Student
On 11/17/2022 at 10:18 PM, MiceInRice said:

During my OCIs, one of the firms had asked me why I was applying to their Ottawa office given that I had also applied to their firm during the 2L Toronto recruit. I was not expecting that question at all, but I answered truthfully and ultimately received an in-firm. I wouldn't say you're immediately out of the running but it definitely does raise a few eyebrows - so have an answer prepared.

• 8 months later...
non-monogamist
  • Law Student
On 11/18/2022 at 8:08 AM, Turtles said:

Which firm is this? Asking for a friend 😅