Q re. Moving provinces after articling

Wocketman

Wocketman
  • Law Student

Hello, I am currently 4 months into my articles. I will be moving provinces at the end of my articles. I did not plan on doing so when I accepted this position, but life happens. I love the company I’m working for and they have a location in the province I’ll be moving to. I’m wondering if I should advise my articling principal asap of my intent to move and see if I could possibly get a position lined up within the company in the other province (provided they have have the intention of hiring me back) or if I should wait until the discussion of hire back arises and bring it up then which may not be for several more months?

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

I would be transparent with them. Your circumstances changed, you like the employer and want to stay with them. You weren't doing anything shady and have good reasons for your situation that you can articulate. It will look better and bode better for you to say something now than later when your hand is forced.

If they can't offer you a post-articling position based on the move, it's better to know that now than later so that you can search for positions. And they can't back out of an articling contract over this.

So the absolute worst case scenario is that they won't hire you back and it damages your relationship during articles but on the flipside you get the advantage of having months to search and apply for post-call jobs. Best case scenario your anxiety is immediately relieved and they say "no problem, we can work out something for you in the other city."

Very little to lose and plenty to gain by speaking up.

• Thanks 1