How Do I Talk About High School Accomplishments? Should I?

ThrowAwayQandA

ThrowAwayQandA

To keep a long story short, when I was in high school I was the two time national and one time world debate champion. I didn't do it all myself obviously, I worked with a great partner in Canadian tournaments and on an incredibly talented national team. 

The question is how to bring this into my personal statement. Before you start, and I can feel many of you screaming at the computer screen that you would kill for something like this to throw on a CV, my issue is twofold. First, I am a mature student, so this happened more than a decade ago. Second, my undergrad grades are less than stellar. Above 3.0, but not by much. It's tricky to discuss struggling academically due to personal reasons when high school ended on a high note, especially one that is broadly considered to be an academic pursuit. 

So, my question, is do I bother including it at all? OLSAS CVs explicitly mention achievements post high school, for reasons I think I understand. Do I bring it into my personal statement? Will admissions committee members care if it was so long ago? I'm trying to wrap my head around this issue, any input would be appreciated. 

Edited by ThrowAwayQandA

• ThrowAwayQandA changed the title to How Do I Talk About High School Accomplishments? Should I?
Telephantasm

I've seen a number of personal statements that reference experiences before undergrad. Mine did. I think it depends on how you bring it up. I know I've read a few sample statements where people said something along the lines of "my high school debate experience got me interested in oral advocacy." I don't think that would hurt.

To your point, though, I am not sure that it would add much to your application. It's a great achievement, but it's old and it was against high schoolers. 

luckycharm
1 hour ago, ThrowAwayQandA said:

To keep a long story short, when I was in high school I was the two time national and one time world debate champion. I didn't do it all myself obviously, I worked with a great partner in Canadian tournaments and on an incredibly talented national team. 

The question is how to bring this into my personal statement. Before you start, and I can feel many of you screaming at the computer screen that you would kill for something like this to throw on a CV, my issue is twofold. First, I am a mature student, so this happened more than a decade ago. Second, my undergrad grades are less than stellar. Above 3.0, but not by much. It's tricky to discuss struggling academically due to personal reasons when high school ended on a high note, especially one that is broadly considered to be an academic pursuit. 

So, my question, is do I bother including it at all? OLSAS CVs explicitly mention achievements post high school, for reasons I think I understand. Do I bring it into my personal statement? Will admissions committee members care if it was so long ago? I'm trying to wrap my head around this issue, any input would be appreciated. 

"OLSAS CVs explicitly mention achievements post high school"

Don't include that unless you want to demonstrate your inability to follow specific instructions. 

CheeseToast
  • Law Student

I can feel many of you screaming at the computer screen that you would kill for something like this to throw on a CV,

Hoooooo boy

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3

Whist
  • Law Student

I had some very interesting teenage experiences, but I didn't mention any of them in my law school application, because they specifically asked not to include anything from high school. If in a context like what Telephantasm mentioned though, I think that would be perfectly fine. 

All that being said:

I can feel many of you screaming at the computer screen that you would kill for something like this to throw on a CV

This caused me physical pain.

• Like 2

LMP
  • Articling Student

Before you start, and I can feel many of you screaming at the computer screen that you would kill for something like this to throw on a CV.

Did you also win the giant ego world championship? 

This is a fairly mediocre EC comparable to things nearly any other competitive candidate has done. Include it if you want but don't expect any adcomms to enjoy basking in your smugness. 

• Like 1

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
33 minutes ago, luckycharm said:

"OLSAS CVs explicitly mention achievements post high school"

Don't include that unless you want to demonstrate your inability to follow specific instructions. 

I am actually quite conflicted here. I understand where you're coming from and I agree that a CV is not be the place to put experiences like this one, but it could great in a personal statement depending on how OP spins it.

IMHO it is an interesting experience. I'm not exactly screaming at my computer right now, but if OP can find a decent way to bring it up - it would be fine. Something that ties those experiences to igniting a desire to attend law school/join the legal profession. It won't turn the needle too far towards an acceptance, but it likely won't be seen as inappropriate. 

Also, OP - keep in mind that many, many applicants for law school are exceptionally accomplished. It's nice that you did well with debates in high school, but you may want to be more careful about how you frame your accomplishments on this forum/in your materials. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

IMHO it is an interesting experience. I'm not exactly screaming at my computer right now, but if OP can find a decent way to bring it up - it would be fine. Something that ties those experiences to igniting a desire to attend law school/join the legal profession. It won't turn the needle too far towards an acceptance, but it likely won't be seen as inappropriate. 

Also, OP - keep in mind that many, many applicants for law school are exceptionally accomplished. It's nice that you did well with debates in high school, but you may want to be more careful about how you frame your accomplishments on this forum/in your materials. 

I think the bolded part is right. High school debate is much more compelling if framed as the basis for an interest in law, than it would be as proof of competency in law school or future practice. 

• Like 2

ThrowAwayQandA

So reflecting my original post, the roasting going on in this thread is well deserved. I was trying to acknowledge that on its face the question might seem like it has an obvious answer - "Mention it, no big deal" but I did it in a way that was certainly less than humble. It was meant to be lighthearted, but came across as pompous to say the least. The more I reread it, the more I regret it.

That said, I appreciate the input here. I certainly do not expect anyone to read "OP was good at debating in high school in the mid-naughts" and immediately grant an acceptance based on that. I genuinely am wondering about whether or not to include it at all in my personal statement, given that it was so long ago. The only reason I am considering it is that it can be framed as the basis for an interest in law and advocacy, like has been said.

All this to say, apologies for being a pompous ass, I'm cringing reading my own writing, thanks for the feedback.

Edited by ThrowAwayQandA
  • Like 2
  • Nom! 6

• Lawyer

What is your LSAT score and how does your work experience look since you left university? Your accomplishment from high school would be nothing more than one or two lines in a personal statement. Law schools receive thousands of applications for a few hundred seats. You are competing with applicants that have not only proven their academic capabilities in undergrad, but have also scored well on the LSAT, may have a graduate degree, and likely have a decent amount of extracurriculars and work experiences themselves. Admissions committees will want to know if you have the academic capability to keep up with your peers in law school. A debate from high school doesn't show them that. So I would work hard on the LSAT. 

Out of curiosity, what is your partner from high school doing now? I'm sure you've seen all the teen high school dramas put out by Hollywood to show that many people find their way in life after high school. 

Edited by Avatar Aang

ThrowAwayQandA

Oof, the self loathing is no better the next day. "There is no delete button" has never felt so poignant. 

14 hours ago, Avatar Aang said:

Out of curiosity, what is your partner from high school doing now? I'm sure you've seen all the teen high school dramas put out by Hollywood to show that many people find their way in life after high school. 

Nothing quite that dramatic, we went to different universities, didn't keep in touch especially well and kind of drifted out of each others' lives. If we were in the same city for whatever reason we'd probably grab a drink and catch up, but we're acquaintances more than friends at this point. Not because of any ill will or falling out, just life I suppose.