How Are Billable Targets Calculated

boyo

12 minutes ago, Cool_name said:

On a serious note, to hit that you are likely looking at being in the office from 8 to 6, with occasional early Friday’s and occasional weekend work.

That was generally my life on Bay St. That's basically 1700 hours for the year if you have one or two really busy months, one or two quieter months, and four weeks off (realistically you take more than four weeks off, since you have 10 public holidays on top of whatever vacation you take, though you will conceivably bill a handful of hours during any of those as well, even if you're off.

• Like 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

You need a very steady practice area to hit target with 8-6 M-F, a single quiet month will cause you to either miss target or miss taking a vacation.

That's true, which is why you need a few busy months too. If that's your heaviest month, you'll struggle to make pretty much any target.

5 hours ago, Pantalaimon said:

You need a very steady practice area to hit target with 8-6 M-F, a single quiet month will cause you to either miss target or miss taking a vacation.

Maybe it’s a difference between solicitors and litigators (me), what are quiet months? 

• LOL 1

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

It was recently put to me that there are two ways of meeting target, with you try to hit a target every month, and every month will suck, or you choose one month to suck

On 11/15/2023 at 8:01 PM, Pantalaimon said:

Article writing months! 😄

Well hopefully my bonus reflects how few articles I have written this year. 

theycancallyouhoju
  • Lawyer
On 11/16/2023 at 12:03 PM, Lawstudents20202020 said:

It was recently put to me that there are two ways of meeting target, with you try to hit a target every month, and every month will suck, or you choose one month to suck

It’s more than one month that has to suck.

Also, especially as you get senior, you have to aim for doing well enough to be a team member but not well enough to have partners really want to work with you. Which is tricky.

Edited by theycancallyouhoju

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

It’s more than one month that has to suck.

Also, especially as you get senior, you have to aim for doing well enough to be a team member but not well enough to have partners really want to work with you. Which is tricky.

Perks of working outside of big law, my target is approximately one busy month less than my friends in Vancouver.

• Like 1