Fall 2021 remote learning or in person?

Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin
  • Law Student

I was hoping someone had any information regarding the status of fall 2021?

The university released their plans; however, I still have no idea what is going on with Robson Hall. I am an out of province student so I was not sure if I should lock down a place in Winnipeg immediately or hold off for now. 

Any information or suggestions would be super helpful!

Thanks!!

Edited by Peter Griffin

robobrain
  • Articling Student

I am a 2L and also an out of province student. I emailed them last month asking more or less which courses will be in-person, and they replied that they will let us know as soon as they have it figured out. Don't stress too much about it. It will more or less confirmed that Fall 2021 is online considering that all the 1L courses are well over 20 students, and I highly doubt they have any plans of reducing class sizes to make it in-person according to University guidelines. However, it is more or so that Winter 2022 is still up in the air based on the recent E-mail.  

According to a University wide E-mail today this is what it said:

Fall and Winter Term Course Delivery

Fall Term Course Delivery: Will be primarily by remote learning, with some exceptions for small classes or classes that cannot be offered remotely.

With this in mind, it is important to ensure your computer or device, and Internet connection should meet the UM Student Connectivity Recommendations (PDF).

If a course is delivered remotely using a video conferencing platform, you may be required to install University approved software on your device and you may be required to have and use a webcam. During videoconferencing, your personal information, in the form of your name, image, and any questions or answers you pose during classes, may be collected under the authority of The University of Manitoba Act. The information you provide will be used by the University for the purpose of supporting student learning.  Exams for remotely delivered courses may be invigilated online. If your exam is invigilated online, you may be required to install University approved software on your computer and you may be required to have and use a webcam while taking the exam. During proctoring, your personal information, in the form of your name and image may be collected under the authority of The University of Manitoba Act. Your personal information will not be used or disclosed for other purposes, unless permitted by The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). If you have any questions about the collection of your personal information, contact the Access & Privacy Office (tel. 204-474-9462), 233 Elizabeth Dafoe Library, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, R3T 2N2. If you have any questions regarding your online lectures or exams, please contact your instructor.

Winter Term Course Delivery: have been scheduled and may be viewed in the 2022 Winter Term Class Schedule. Unless otherwise noted, Winter Term (Part B) sections of term-spanning courses will continue to be delivered in the same format as Fall Term (Part A) sections.

It is uncertain at this time how other Winter Term courses will be delivered. The teaching delivery method for those courses may be adjusted based on updated public health information and directives. Further details will be available in Fall Term.

squish
  • Law Student

Got an official email from the associate dean on Tuesday stating that all fall courses will be virtual! They are aiming to be back in person for the winter. 

• Like 1