Importance of Grades Post Securing OCI Job

Harvey18

Harvey18
  • Law Student

Looking for insight into whether 2L/3L grades matter after securing a summer position. Obviously I’m not talking about failing courses, but are very average grades (mostly B’s, maybe one C) okay? Or Bay Street firms take these into consideration when hiring back for articling?

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

Bay Street firms largely won't base their hireback assessments on law school grades since they will have (presumably) a summer and ~7-9 months of observation of your actual work. That being said, your grades will follow you for the first few years so they will matter if you don't get hired back, or if you choose to lateral.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

Even in smaller markets grades will follow you. It's not something you can overcome but when during my last job search every interview I had mentioned grades. 

• Thanks 1

ZukoJD
  • Law Student

I’m in a similar situation. I got what I came here for and I don’t have the same fire I used to now. 

I think with some good work experience and average grades you’ll be perfectly fine though. That’s better than many of your colleagues, virtually all of which end up somewhere decent. 

Maybe you can find something else to boost your CV, something you’re actually interested in, if the coursework isn’t doing it anymore. 

• Nom! 1

ZukoJD
  • Law Student

Something else I would do if I were you is check out all the events your bar association has coming up. You might find some that align with your interests.

I know the Ontario Bar Association has a speed networking event coming up that looks like a great opportunity to make some connections. I’d be on the look out for anything like that. 

ZukoJD
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, ZukoJD said:

Something else I would do if I were you is check out all the events your bar association has coming up. You might find some that align with your interests.

I know the Ontario Bar Association has a speed networking event coming up that looks like a great opportunity to make some connections. I’d be on the look out for anything like that. 

Oops sorry. I meant to post this in the articling thread.