chances

kai

kai
  • Applicant

what are the chances with a sub 3.0 cgpa but a higher lsat score do I have to get into law school in Canada. Thinking about applying to most law schools in Ontario, and Quebec. I know low cgpa is difficult to get into, but most universities offer a holistic approach to their admissions so I am hoping with a good personal statement and high lsat score, maybe I will have a chance. 

Edited by kai

I used to get cute about having a "sub-3.0" GPA myself, at a time when my GPA was sub-3.0 in the same way my bank balance is sub-ten trillion dollars, and am therefore always a bit suspicious when someone uses that framing. The best advice I can give you is that "sub-3.0" can look like a lot of things. If it looks like "2.99, but that's because you had a terrible first year and a great L2", you're fine. If it looks like "0.0 because that's honestly your best academic effort", holistic admissions won't help.

And everybody thinks they have a "good personal statement". Nobody's like, "Oh, yeah, my personal statement's going to be at the thirtieth percentile," but somebody's is.

So...you might have a road ahead of you. I'd encourage you to see how you do on a practice LSAT, see how bad your GPA actually is, and go from there. Best of luck.

kai
  • Applicant
4 minutes ago, Yogurt Baron said:

I used to get cute about having a "sub-3.0" GPA myself, at a time when my GPA was sub-3.0 in the same way my bank balance is sub-ten trillion dollars, and am therefore always a bit suspicious when someone uses that framing. The best advice I can give you is that "sub-3.0" can look like a lot of things. If it looks like "2.99, but that's because you had a terrible first year and a great L2", you're fine. If it looks like "0.0 because that's honestly your best academic effort", holistic admissions won't help.

And everybody thinks they have a "good personal statement". Nobody's like, "Oh, yeah, my personal statement's going to be at the thirtieth percentile," but somebody's is.

So...you might have a road ahead of you. I'd encourage you to see how you do on a practice LSAT, see how bad your GPA actually is, and go from there. Best of luck.

realistically, I think my cpga will fall between the 2.5-2.8 range (had a bad two years during covid, but I also was not able to keep up) but that is calculating all years, even though i know some schools will take L2 or B2. In all honesty, I just wonder just how holistic the process is. 

really betting on personal statement and lsats so sway at least one school in my favour haha