Chance me UBC Indigenous Applicant

Jade

Jade
  • Applicant

GPA (after drops) 79%

LSAT score: 152

Index: 88

I think I have strong personal profile.

Indigenous applicant. Anybody know if I'll be able to get into UBC?

Edited by Jade

Heisenberg45
  • Law School Admit

Honestly, it’s very hard to say.

UBC isn’t very transparent about how much weight they put on stats for indigenous applicants. It’s safe to say your story and reasoning for applying to law school will play a large role, but there’s a lot of subjectivity there. If UBC is looking for somewhat competitive stats despite the much more specific application category, your chances are very low. If not, your chances could be quite good depending on your softs, story etc..

This would be a good question to ask an admissions office. 

LMP
  • Articling Student

In their brochure for indigenous applicants UBC claims you'll need a competitive LSAT and GPA. On the face of it this would mean you wouldn't have a chance. 

But I suspect this term doesn't have the same level of firmness it does in a general application setting. So I'd wager that with the right narrative and application, you may well have a shot. Though your stats will make it very much an uphill battle.  

Jade
  • Applicant

well I got into Osgoode today.

14 hours ago, Chewy said:

Get that LSAT increased. Are you signed up for January? Did you apply elsewhere?

yes and yes a bunch of other schools.

• Like 1

Jade
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Congratulations on Osgoode. Is UBC your first choice?

What are you PTing at the moment?

PTing? Thank you and yes UBC is my first choice because it's the only school where I don't have to move away from home. And I'm finishing my undergrad here.

Chewy
  • Law School Admit
40 minutes ago, Jade said:

PTing? Thank you and yes UBC is my first choice because it's the only school where I don't have to move away from home. And I'm finishing my undergrad here.

What are you getting on your practice tests at this time? 

Patient0L
  • Law Student

At least 2 years ago when I spoke to UBC admissions they said they have a 155 cutoff across the board. However, if they were really hurting to fill their Indigenous category (which you would have to apply through to get in with those stats) I wouldn’t be surprised if they broke their own rule. 

If you meet their minimum it will be all about your application and predictions based on stats on this site probably won’t be useful. 

My suggestion: Call UBC admissions and ask if they will accept an applicant with a 152. If not, get cracking on the logic games—the easiest way to bring up your score.

good luck!

• Like 1