Is there cold calling/socratic method at Osgoode Hall?

AnonymousFutureLawStudent

• Law Student

I come from the U.S. where the Socratic Method is the common teaching style at American law schols. Is this also common in Canada? I hear people dread these cold calls. 

I had a prof who would go through the class one by one and ask questions from the textbook. So it wasn't exactly cold calling. 

I had another prof who would roll a die and use the number to pick a student to ask a question to. 

But in both cases the questions were things you had access to in advance. So it was more of a lukewarm call. 

I also hear that other sections didn't have professors who did that, so I wouldn't call it a universal experince.

Patient0L
  • Law Student
18 hours ago, LMP said:

I had a prof who would go through the class one by one and ask questions from the textbook. So it wasn't exactly cold calling. 

I had another prof who would roll a die and use the number to pick a student to ask a question to. 

But in both cases the questions were things you had access to in advance. So it was more of a lukewarm call. 

I also hear that other sections didn't have professors who did that, so I wouldn't call it a universal experince.

How does the die thing work if there’s more that 6 students? 

2 hours ago, Patient0L said:

Who said it was a six sided die? 

Also he only used in during the tutorial sessions.

• Law Student
21 hours ago, SNAILS said:

I have not experienced any cold calling during lectures at Osgoode Hall.

Any what year are you in?

16 hours ago, Patient0L said:

What do you mean? 

SNAILS
  • Law Student

I'm a 2L. 

There are lots of different sections, but there was no cold calling in my 1L section, and there was no cold calling in the 2L courses I've taken.