Alberta future job market

summerofgeorge

summerofgeorge
  • Law Student

Considering the rising COL in Toronto and the burgeoning tech scene in places like Calgary and Edmonton, do you think we will see more lawyers moving west in the coming years?

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Most Bay Street lawyers would react to moving to Alberta in a manner that would put the TO Life lady to shame. 

Maybe it will happen with lawyers in less remunerative fields, but I imagine they would be more likely to just move within Ontario. Especially with the current state of Alberta’s politics. 

• LOL 1

Twenty
  • Articling Student
2 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Most Bay Street lawyers would react to moving to Alberta in a manner that would put the TO Life lady to shame. 

Maybe it will happen with lawyers in less remunerative fields, but I imagine they would be more likely to just move within Ontario. Especially with the current state of Alberta’s politics. 

GTA to Edmonton!? Rip. 😭 

5 minutes ago, Twenty said:

GTA to Edmonton!? Rip. 😭 

I mean…what did she expect? I was born and raised in Edmonton and the only positive representation I hear consistently is that Edmonton is “affordable.” Which is good if you are a middle class family priced out of other major markets.

As for the careers, there are basically three paths for Edmonton-born career minded professionals: 1. Calgary oil and gas industry - the natural choice for most 2. Toronto - for those that want a change 3. Edmonton - various government positions

Honourable mention: Vancouver - for the boho hippie type

Rusty Iron Ring
  • Lawyer

I loved Edmonton. I only moved back to TO because it's where my family is. But as a place to live and work, I would definitely have preferred Edmonton.  

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
36 minutes ago, HiGuys2020 said:

I mean…what did she expect? I was born and raised in Edmonton and the only positive representation I hear consistently is that Edmonton is “affordable.”

It was worse than that. That woman is so fucking dumb that she moved to Leduc and then wrote a piece trashing Edmonton because she conflated them (something she was roundly dunked on for).

Also from her perspective the crowning achievement of civilization is Cactus Club (which, by the way, Edmonton has). Lmao

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

It was worse than that. That woman is so fucking dumb that she moved to Leduc and then wrote a piece trashing Edmonton because she conflated them (something she was roundly dunked on for).

Also from her perspective the crowning achievement of civilization is Cactus Club (which, by the way, Edmonton has). Lmao

She also repeatedly says she was “leaving Toronto”. Except she is from Mississauga. Which is in the GTA, but is an hour away from Toronto and is decidedly not Toronto. So she seems quite geographically challenged. 

• Like 4

kollykibbler
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

Not only did she conflate Edmonton with Leduc and trash it, but she trashed it for not having the exact same amenities ("lounges," which we actually do have) as Toronto. She made no effort whatsoever to appreciate Edmonton (or Leduc) for what it is, which really isn't that bad at all. The summers are beautiful. People here are generally pretty positive about the city in my experience.

As for Cactus Club, I worked at the West Edmonton one for a day when I was seventeen and haven't been back since. There are six of Cactus Clubs in about a kilometre of each other in Vancouver, by the way, so clearly she didn't do her research when moving out west. 

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
38 minutes ago, kollykibbler said:

She made no effort whatsoever to appreciate Edmonton (or Leduc) for what it is, which really isn't that bad at all.

The kind of high praise that one has come to expect from Edmontonians and will no doubt inspire a flood of Bay Street lawyers in the coming years. 

Hell, the city is downright habitable for four months of the year—what isn’t to love! 

• Like 2
  • Nom! 1

Whist
  • Law Student
10 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

The kind of high praise that one has come to expect from Edmontonians and will no doubt inspire a flood of Bay Street lawyers in the coming years. 

Hell, the city is downright habitable for four months of the year—what isn’t to love! 

Recently found out they filmed parts of The Last of Us here. Must've saved them a boatload on set design and CGI because the city just looks like that already. 

(I like it here just fine, but yeah, I don't think Toronto fans would have a great time living here.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whist said:

I don't think Toronto fans would have a great time living here

2 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

image.png.3dfa139a98aac842f51df971f15acda4.png

*Shudders*

image.png.b358f69b4a0f7efc57cddf00119a85f3.png

*Shudders violently*

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
Whist
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, realpseudonym said:

image.png.3dfa139a98aac842f51df971f15acda4.png

*Shudders*

image.png.b358f69b4a0f7efc57cddf00119a85f3.png

*Shudders violently*

After -45 with the windchill like last week, it's amazing how much you adjust. I picked up some wool base layers and I'm a little too warm in them at times when it's only -15. 

(There is no "it's a dry cold" excuse when it's -45. It is a dry cold when it's -20 or warmer though.)

Edited by Whist
  • Thanks 1

CheeseToast
  • Law Student

I mean if you don’t want to continue living like you’re poor Alberta is a decent place to be. Pays the same as out East/West too. Enjoy your 500sqft peeps. 

• Like 3
  • Nom! 2

Twenty
  • Articling Student

I lived in both Toronto and Calgary. I don't really have an opinion as to whether Toronto is "better" than Calgary or vice-versa because there are pros and cons (especially, imo, after Danielle Smith...). 

Edmonton (Leduc?) though. Yeah, I can't see why I would reccomend any of my Toronto friends to move there. 

Chewy
  • Law School Admit

Y’all are sleeping on a potential goldmine. Forget law school, I’m opening a Cactus Club in Leduc.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Nom! 1