How do you study for the LSAT during school?

Boofy

I'm in my second year of undergrad and I'm hoping to take the LSAT sometime around summer / fall 2023. Based on my diagnostic last year (~142) I figured I'd need a good chunk of time studying to maximize my chances of getting ~165. I was studying during the summer and stopped once school started to maintain my GPA and just recently took another PT and scored a 158 (which I've convinced myself must be a fluke because imposter syndrome LOL), which is obviously a huge jump but still not yet where I want to be. I figured to actually be able to write the LSAT when I'm hoping to I'd clearly need to study for the test throughout the winter semester, but I'm just wondering how others went about doing this while still maintaining a high GPA? How many hours a day/week would you spend studying for the LSAT during school or what did your daily study schedule look like? 

I should also mention I'm pushing to write the LSAT sooner rather than later because Logic Games is whats' responsible for my score increase and don't want to wait and then it's removed from the LSAT. 

Thanks in advance!

multigraincheerio
  • Law School Admit

Everyone is different, but for me, I found it very challenging to study for the LSAT while upholding my GPA in undergrad when my test date was sooner than later. If one had to come first it was GPA, resulting in pushing LSAT studying further than I needed to and not making the score increases I could have been making. Because you are taking the test sooner than later (again, if you are like me), you will be very busy. Like, seriously busy. If you are privileged enough to do so (and many are not), I would suggest taking some time off work to be able to do both as efficiently as possible.

It's hard to give the exact or even rough number of how many hours a week I would put toward the two. But my classes and my LSAT were practically my whole life (I wasn't able to attend many social gatherings), with a little bit of gym time/time with family and friends so I wouldn't go entirely crazy.

It's not impossible to do (a 158 is a great place to begin imo), but it will be very busy. Don't underestimate the fact that it will be busy. And to reiterate once more: everyone is different, this is my personal experience. 

One more edit: If you take the test in fall or late summer, you should be able to avoid most of what I just said. Lol. Assuming you aren't in full time classes or particularly busy in the summer as well.

Edited by multigraincheerio
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
xyzstudent
  • Law School Admit

I agree with Multigraincheerio that everyone is different and LSAT is a beast, not impossible but it definitely requires a lot of hard work. 

I started reading and loosely learned some materials in Jan 2022. I made it almost full-time LSAT studying during the summer (May/June/July) while taking 3 summer courses. I intended to take LSAT in Sep but I did not feel too ready so I postponed it to Nov. It was a huge mistake as mid Nov was right during midterm. If I could do it again, I would have written it in Sep. I ended up with 165 for the first and only attempt. Not super high but I think it was enough to get me where I wanted to (awaiting for the admission decision as I just submitted my last transcript). I also have 2 young kids and a full-time job so it was definitely a stressful busy year. With that being said, I think you would possibly have more time in really pushing it for 3 months during the summer and write it in early Sep.

Good luck with your journey ahead :)!

Edited by vnyycstudent
  • Like 2