How much time between bar exams and articling?

goodisgood

goodisgood
  • Law Student

This is a problem for next year, but I'm trying to plan a graduation trip since I didn't get to go on one in undergrad. I see this year, the Solicitor & Barrister exams are on May 30 and June 13. Are the dates similar every year? Should I account for potentially failing both or one and if that happens would that mess with my articling timeline? 

Also, does articling start in July or August or does it depend on the firm?

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

The dates move a little each year. The exams are earlier this year by a week or so.

If you fail, you’ll have to write again in October or March. It won’t mess up your articling timeline unless you don’t pass them in time to get called or get hired back.

Articling varies but most people start in July or August. I know some people started in June and they had some overlap with the exams. It will depend on where you’re articling. I started at the beginning of August.

• Like 1