Advice needed: got an offer during articling but awaiting another

99problems

99problems
  • Lawyer

I am in the middle of my articling. Today, I got an offer from my current employer. But I have been in contact with another firm. I have received verbal confirmations from the head of department that he wants to hire me but needs to put it in front of the management mid March/April. I don't know what to say to my current employer. On one hand, I do not want to accept an offer then go back on my word a couple of months later. On the other, I don't know how to stall this offer.

A friend of mine suggested telling my firm that I may receive an offer from another place. I don't know its implications if I told them but didn't get the other offer. It will create an awkward situation for sure.

Any insights?

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

I'm assuming you'd rather take the job at the other firm, given this situation would be very straightforward and easy to resolve if you'd prefer to stay at your current one.

Personally I'd be up front with them and say "I really appreciate your offer. Truthfully, I wasn't sure whether I'd be hired back so I'm currently in the process with another firm. I want to be open with you and I'd appreciate being able to weigh my options if I end up receiving an offer from the other firm."

There is a very real possibility this won't sit well with your current firm and your hireback offer will end up being revoked. But from my point of view, any firm that would do that isn't one I'd want to remain at long-term (do you really want to have to worry about whether you can be up front with them about other things moving forward as well?) so that's good information to have. Not to mention it's abundantly clear that you are able to receive interviews elsewhere so you shouldn't feel desperate enough to be saddled to a firm that will fly off the handle over something like that.

But, easier said than done.

• Like 1

JustHereNotStaying
  • Law Student

^Yeah, I've had the "I might be leaving your firm and not coming back" blow up in my face epically. The smiles turned into, sorry, we might have to let you go. Try to see if you can get a solid foot in through the door for the job you want. Ask if there is some way you can get the offer before March/April.

The possibility of a job is not the same as actually getting the job. Make sure you have an income rather than having no job at all. Being transparent is noble, don't get me wrong on that. But usually, upper management is more concerned with $$$ than with your job security. You should think about yourself and the mouths you have to feed because that's what everyone else is doing

As a funny side note - Ned Stark was noble in Game of Thrones and ended up having his head chopped off when he did the right thing. Most people are like the character little finger. That's why when you find a Ned Stark in the legal field, they are awesome people. I hope you understand this reference! 

• Like 5

KOMODO
  • Lawyer

As mentioned above, I think I would tell the non-articling firm that you received an offer from your articling firm, so you may not be able to wait until march/april. Hopefully they can expedite their offer.

If your articling firm presses you for an answer, you can tell them you are grateful for the offer and you would like a little more time to consider it. If they ask why, tell them it's a big decision and you want to make sure it's a good fit in terms of practice area, type of work, etc. This still may piss them off, but it won't be as bad as outright mentioning that you're trying to get a different offer. I would not directly tell them that you are considering employment elsewhere. I also might try to stall by not responding at all unless they set a deadline for acceptance or follow up with you (but this depends on your relationships at the firm and whether they assume you have accepted or assume you are still thinking about it). 

• Like 4