3.3 ish/169/3rd year/strong softs

backtomac

backtomac
  • Applicant

Please be straight up with me, what are my chances as a 3rd year with a 3.3 (u of t life sci sucks) and a 169?

Applied everywhere in Ontario, UNB, Manitoba, Sask.

Strong softs (2 patents, heavily involved at school, founded a biotech company)

Edit: I "skipped" 2nd year through summer school and AP credit which likely further damages my chances

Edited by backtomac

LMP
  • Articling Student

There's a lot of variables here, but applying as a third year is always an added challenge. 

You seem to have a strong LSAT and abover average extracurriculars. If you were applying as a fourth year I'd be very confident in telling you that an acceptance from at least one of those schools was coming your way. 

But as I said, applying as a third year is much tougher. Especially with your skipped second year, I just don't think most schools will bite. They don't have enough to go on. Even if you do get an offer I think there is value in applying again next year. You'll have a better shot of getting into more schools. 

If an offer should come your way this year (not impossible) really consider how much you want to attend that school in paticualr. 

reaperlaw
  • Lawyer

I would say the grades are one of the biggest things holding you back. For example, uOttawa's French joint-programs have students taking law school classes at the same time as you theoretically would be (third year of post-secondary, two years out of high school), but you need to maintain an A- average in your first two years to be able to advance. Take what you will from that.

By extension, also think about the fact that a 3.3 puts you below the median GPA at most of the schools you applied to. Applying as a "technical" third year undergrad but more honestly a second year that has accelerated, I would be planning on being back in an undergraduate classroom come Fall.