How much will my 2L grades impact my summer job

firstgen1234

firstgen1234
  • Law Student

Hey all, 

My school just released our grades and I did not do well. I received two C's and two B's. I did the OCI recruit and landed a job through that and as a result was super behind on school. I am wondering how much these grades will impact my summer job and potentially articling at the same firm?

Thanks!

Edited by firstgen1234

Turtles
  • Law Student
20 minutes ago, firstgen1234 said:

Hey all, 

My school just released our grades and I did not do well. I received two C's and two B's. I did the OCI recruit and landed a job through that and as a result was super behind on school. I am wondering how much these grades will impact my summer job and potentially articling at the same firm?

Thanks!

When I landed a job from the 1L recruit, the firm never asked for my grades from second semester of 1L. They also extended an offer to return for 2L summer that was not conditional on grades. Others in my cohort from 2L were not asked for grades as part of their offer to come back for articling. Obviously other firms may do things differently. But common sense does beg the question why a firm would cut you for your grades after they have a summer of your work/attitude/aptitude to assess -- and, perhaps more importantly, after they've already invested $$$ into you.

Edited by Turtles
  • Like 1

LMP
  • Articling Student

My firm has more or less said that I should spend the next year taking it easy (within limits). I think you'll be fine, the decision to hire you back is going to be based on your performance during the summer.

• Like 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

My firm did ask for 2L grades at some point during the summer, which made some peers visibly nervous, but nobody got cut.  I don't think two Cs will move the needle.

• Like 1

CrossroadsDemon
  • Lawyer

Non Toronto OCI firm, when we finished as summer students and asked a partner for “3L advice”, the response was “just don’t fail anything”. Firm never requested transcripts from us. 

• Like 1

sageclock
  • Law Student

My mentor at my firm told me some of his colleagues failed classes during their 2L terms and the firm still hired back for articling.

• Like 1

CheeseToast
  • Law Student
On 1/20/2023 at 10:26 PM, CrossroadsDemon said:

Non Toronto OCI firm, when we finished as summer students and asked a partner for “3L advice”, the response was “just don’t fail anything”. Firm never requested transcripts from us. 

Same

• Like 1