Chance Me

TKAY21

TKAY21
  • Undergrad

You probably all seen this a thousand times but here is another one. Just want to know if I would be wasting my time. By cGPA is quite low. It is around a 2.6 at UofT. My B20/L2 is a 3.85. I have not taken the LSAT as yet but have scored a 169 and a 171 on two practice tests I have taken while timed. I have a lot of community involvement in food drives and religious institutions. Should I take the LSAT given my really low cGPA? I feel like once schools see such a low cGPA they will just auto reject me...

soundofconfusion
  • Law Student

Take it. Your chances are unpredictable and you could be rejected everywhere, but they're not nil and, depending on how your grades convert to different schools' scales and how the rest of your application looks, you could get into schools that you might think have no chance of accepting you. Every other part of your application needs to be really good, that LSAT needs to be as high as you can possibly manage, and you should apply extremely broadly (in Canada), but you have a chance. Also, if there were any extenuating circumstances for the terrible grades or any other factors that might give you a potential access claim, apply in whatever categories, write whatever statements, and supply whatever documentation you might need to the schools to prove that.

Edited by soundofconfusion
  • Like 1

LMP
  • Articling Student

I'm normally skeptical towards practice scores, but you seem to have a good grasp of the LSAT and even if your score is a bit below what you're getting in practice, it'd still be pretty strong. 

You've also got a strong L2. I think you can write a strong narrative in your applications (the idea being to highlight the L2 and LSAT as proof of your ability to consistently succeed in law school). 

Don't worry about auto rejection, there are a handful of schools that use an index but even they have categories outside of it. Your application will be read, you'll have the chance to explain why you should be admitted. And if you apply broadly, I think you'll be successful.