Mature Application

boo

I will be applying to a handful of schools this fall that have the Mature category (or special category that emphasizes work experience). Does anyone have any knowledge about whether this application track has different expectations and/or timelines?

(eg. are cutoffs for GPA/LSAT lower, is there more emphasis on your personal statement / essay, do you hear back sooner/later during the process, etc.)

luckycharm
48 minutes ago, boo said:

I will be applying to a handful of schools this fall that have the Mature category (or special category that emphasizes work experience). Does anyone have any knowledge about whether this application track has different expectations and/or timelines?

(eg. are cutoffs for GPA/LSAT lower, is there more emphasis on your personal statement / essay, do you hear back sooner/later during the process, etc.)

For Ontario schools ( you didn't specific which schools), the deadlines etc. are the same.

May be helpful if you let us know your GPA, LSAT, L2 and B2 , schools you want to apply and how many years of working full post graduation.

• Like 1

PlayALawyerOnTV
  • Law Student

Deadlines are all the same. There also isn't a huge drop off as far as stats go from what I've seen, though there are always a few outliers. Some schools do review mature applicants later in the cycle (UBC I'm looking at you). Anecdotally more emphasis does seem to be placed on the personal statement. 

I applied as a mature student to most schools this cycle and got a few offers before committing to Osgoode back in March. Feel free to PM me if you have some specific questions and I'll be happy to offer what insight I can. 

On 7/9/2021 at 11:12 AM, luckycharm said:

For Ontario schools ( you didn't specific which schools), the deadlines etc. are the same.

May be helpful if you let us know your GPA, LSAT, L2 and B2 , schools you want to apply and how many years of working full post graduation.

Full list: UBC, Western, Queens, Ottawa, Dalhousie. LSAT TBD (writing in October, currently testing around 167 FWIW, but let's assume 165). cGPA: 3.1, L2: 3.45, WE: 5 years commercial real estate investments & development.

I had studied in year 3 of my undergrad for the LSAT and was scoring 172-174 but never wrote at the time. I'm hoping I can get back there by October.

UBC is the least likely but I'm in BC so worth a shot. 

On 7/9/2021 at 3:53 PM, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

Deadlines are all the same. There also isn't a huge drop off as far as stats go from what I've seen, though there are always a few outliers. Some schools do review mature applicants later in the cycle (UBC I'm looking at you). Anecdotally more emphasis does seem to be placed on the personal statement. 

I applied as a mature student to most schools this cycle and got a few offers before committing to Osgoode back in March. Feel free to PM me if you have some specific questions and I'll be happy to offer what insight I can. 

Unfortunate to hear as my stats are definitely not top quartile (probably not even 2nd). Thanks for the offer! Will likely send you a PM closer to the fall to make sure I have my applications dialed in

35 minutes ago, boo said:

Full list: UBC, Western, Queens, Ottawa, Dalhousie. LSAT TBD (writing in October, currently testing around 167 FWIW, but let's assume 165). cGPA: 3.1, L2: 3.45, WE: 5 years commercial real estate investments & development.

I had studied in year 3 of my undergrad for the LSAT and was scoring 172-174 but never wrote at the time. I'm hoping I can get back there by October.

UBC is the least likely but I'm in BC so worth a shot. 

Unfortunate to hear as my stats are definitely not top quartile (probably not even 2nd). Thanks for the offer! Will likely send you a PM closer to the fall to make sure I have my applications dialed in

Apply broadly. If you can get 165+ with mature category, then anything could happen.

PlayALawyerOnTV
  • Law Student

Agree with Luckycharm. My advice would be to apply everywhere you'd be willing to go. I applied everywhere except Lakehead and McGill this past cycle. My stats were more or less in line with yours as well. cGPA: ~2.5, LSAT 163, with 15+ years of high end work experience in film and television. 

• 2 weeks later...
SNAILS
  • Articling Student

If you make that 165+ official, you are in really, really good shape.

I am a mature student myself, Osgoode.

My view of the mature category vs. the general category is that neither is easier or harder. The mature category substitutes anything that may be lacking from your undergrad (low grades, lack of a full 4 year degree, lack of any undergrad altogether in extreme cases) with equivalent life experience. The more is lacking from your undergrad, the more you need to show equivalent value out of your life experience.

In your case, a 165 and your life experience should make up for a lower GPA if you apply broadly. And it doesn't always follow the pattern of what are considered "easier" or "harder" schools to get into.

• 2 years later...
xiaomaomi
  • Law School Admit
On 7/9/2021 at 3:53 PM, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

@PlayALawyerOnTV, thanks for your insights here. I am a mature candidate to a couple of Ontario schools, including Osgoode. I had a 162, a 3.54 overall (undergraduate) GPA, and years of engineering experience in Silicon Valley; also pursuing a master's degree in the US with a much more decent GPA. I regret that I could not make my LSAT higher in later tests though.

May I know when you received your offer? Was it later in spring? Feel free to PM me though.