Ottawa 2L Recruit Non-OCI firms: do firms send all their invitations to interview on the same day?

lawbagels

Hi all,  

Wondering if anyone can tell me from their experience if firms generally email invitation to interview to everyone they're interested in on the same day or if they are spaced out? I haven't heard back from a firm that I know sent someone an invitation today and I'm wondering if that means it's unlikely I will be selected? 

Edited by lawbagels

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

I received an invitation for an interview with Conway Baxter Wilson LLP today, but they are not participating in the OCI recruit. OCI's will be revealed to us on Monday. But there are 2 other firms not participating in OCI's, Goldblatt and Conlin Bedard, who I haven't heard back from. Perhaps I am out with them. Goldblatt is a long-shot as I have no employment law experience nor a strong desire to practice in that area.

Edited by capitalttruth
  • Like 2

• lawbagels changed the title to Ottawa 2L Recruit Non-OCI firms: do firms send all their invitations to interview on the same day?
ArchivesandMuseums
  • Articling Student
3 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

I received an invitation for an interview with Conway Baxter Wilson LLP today, but they are not participating in the OCI recruit. OCI's will be revealed to us on Monday. But there are 2 other firms not participating in OCI's, Goldblatt and Conlin Bedard, who I haven't heard back from. Perhaps I am out with them. Goldblatt is a long-shot as I have no employment law experience nor a strong desire to practice in that area.

Goldblatt's Ottawa office usually looks for bilingual applicants, FYI.

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

Just got a PFO from Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall. Maybe I didn't show a great enough interest in the firm in my cover letter and they picked up on that. Because in truth the firm was low on my preferred choices.

Edited by capitalttruth

18 hours ago, JD incoming said:

Would you mind sharing the name of the firm?

I know of Mann Lawyers and Brazeau Seller Law

49 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Just got a PFO from Perley-Robertson, Hill & McDougall. Maybe I didn't show a great enough interest in the firm in my cover letter and they picked up on that. Because in truth the firm was low on my preferred choices.

Thanks for the update! I wasn't aware that so many non-oci firms contact students so soon 

I wish they told us what part of our applications made them choose to pass 

KingoftheBritons
  • Law Student
On 1/26/2023 at 11:03 AM, lawbagels said:

I know of Mann Lawyers and Brazeau Seller Law

Just to clarify, you know someone who got an interview offer with Mann? 

lawstudent080
  • Law Student

I received interview invitations from Mann, Conway, Brazeau Seller, and Connoly all on the morning of January 25th. I assume that the other non-OCI participating firms did the same!

lawstudent080
  • Law Student
15 hours ago, JD incoming said:

Did anyone hear from LaBarge Weinstein LLP?

I received an OCI offer from them on the day OCI's released. But I'm from uOttawa so if your school does not participate in OCI's you may have different dates.