Income Tax - Articling Salary

GlennQuagmire

GlennQuagmire
  • Articling Student

Hi everyone! 

Does anybody know how articling salaries are taxed? Since it's a 10-month contract generally, does the firm we're employed at hold back amounts for taxes, that we'll likely get back in our return, or do we get the whole amount which we then report to the CRA during tax season?

Thanks for the help 🙂

GlennQuagmire
  • Articling Student

I have. Didn't know if articling students were seen as contractors or employees for tax purposes, but thanks for the unnecessarily snarky response. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Just while we’re all getting the snark out of our system for the weekend: 

1 hour ago, GlennQuagmire said:

Didn't know if articling students were seen as contractors or employees for tax purposes

Tell me you don’t know about employment law without telling me you don’t know about employment law. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

GlennQuagmire
  • Articling Student

Ok so now that the people who like to spend their Friday nights criticizing honest questions on an anonymous forum are out of the way, I'd really appreciate if someone could answer my question when they get the chance! 🙂 

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Luckycharms already answered your question. That’s why I made my joke. 

Renerik
  • Law Student
9 minutes ago, GlennQuagmire said:

Ok so now that the people who like to spend their Friday nights criticizing honest questions on an anonymous forum are out of the way, I'd really appreciate if someone could answer my question when they get the chance! 🙂 

It's a fixed term contract, they're paying you a wage and will retain taxes depening on your TD1 and provincial tax form you sign when they collect your payroll info. When you hear of contractors having to budget a part of their take-home to pay taxes come tax season, that's because they're considered self employed. There's no mistake, you definitely have an employer as an articling student.

Edited by Renerik
  • Like 1

GlennQuagmire
  • Articling Student
4 minutes ago, Renerik said:

It's a fixed term contract, they're paying you a wage and will retain taxes depening on your TD1 and provincial tax form you sign when they collect your payroll info. When you hear of contractors having to budget a part of their take-home to pay taxes come tax season, that's because they're considered self employed. There's no mistake, you definitely have an employer as an articling student.

Awesome, thanks a lot!