Corporate/ Big Law Schools

Alli306

Alli306
  • Law Student

Hi All, 

Would love to get everyone's opinion on the "rankings" of law schools in regards for corporate law across Canada. Considering OCI and articling placement rates in their respective provinces and out of province, school reputation, classes, clinics, and alumni network. 

I am pretty set on practicing in Big Law so it would be great to hear which school have done the best and are continuing to set their students up for the best.

Thanks

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

Your grades are going to be far more determinative of your chances at big law than your choice of school. 

That and where the school is located, if you want Toronto big law TRU wouldn't be a great choice. 

• Like 3

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, Alli306 said:

Additionally in my case I have a B.Comm, so would there be any value to doing a JD/MBA?

Depends on what you mean by value. Will it help you get into big law, probably not. Is there value in the knowledge you get from doing an MBA, will it assist you as a lawyer, maybe. 

• Like 1

GoatDuck
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, Alli306 said:

Additionally in my case I have a B.Comm, so would there be any value to doing a JD/MBA?

One of my friends is doing a JD/MBA at UofT and he’s convinced it will give him an upper hand in NYC recruits. I can connect you with him if you want

• Like 1

Alli306
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, GoatDuck said:

One of my friends is doing a JD/MBA at UofT and he’s convinced it will give him an upper hand in NYC recruits. I can connect you with him if you want

That would be great!

Jimmy McGill
  • Law School Admit
17 hours ago, GoatDuck said:

I’m in a similar boat here (accepted to UoftT JD program and uncertain about whether to pursue an MBA). Could you please connect me with them as well? 

HarveyRoss
  • Articling Student

While it’s true that your grades will be the most important factor, if you look at previous recruit results, such as UofT’s Ultra Vires, U of T and Osgoode tend to place the most students in Toronto big law. It appears that firms are willing to go deeper into the pool at those two schools. Firms also provide two days of OCI at these schools versus one day of OCI at other schools.

• Like 1