How much funding is available for UAlberta students?

Glaucon

Glaucon
  • Law School Admit

Hey hi,

Questions on bursaries: So I know that UBC has a great bursaries program. They have an online estimator and my friends who go there say it's reasonably accurate - many independent students living away from home can expect to get between $4500 and $8000 per year in bursaries. Does UAlberta have a comparable system?

Questions on scholarships: Will I get any, lol? How many of those big entrance awards are available? What about the smaller awards? Is there any way to estimate who will get an offer and who won't?

Here are my stats in case you care to comment on my situation in particular: I applied in the indigenous category with a 166 and either a 3.6 or a 3.8 L2 (depends on if my grad-school grades make it into the calc).

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student

Ualberta has great bursaries. The Ualberta prospectus also gives information on this. I dont think there is a way to estimate how much you might get though. For what its worth, I got 10K in 1L, 18K in 2L, and 16K in 3L just from being poor lol. 

• Like 1

Glaucon
  • Law School Admit
57 minutes ago, Lilbb19 said:

Ualberta has great bursaries. The Ualberta prospectus also gives information on this. I dont think there is a way to estimate how much you might get though. For what its worth, I got 10K in 1L, 18K in 2L, and 16K in 3L just from being poor lol. 

This is great to know. Thank you.

Whist
  • Law Student

Can back up what Lilbb19 said for approximate bursary range. I got roughly $15k for 1L and 2L each. You don't get them right away in the Fall though, and I know more than one person who didn't get much or anything because they had too much in savings/earned too much the prior year/etc. They won't weigh a line of credit against you if you have one though. 

• Like 1

FlyingFish
  • Articling Student

From my experience it is pretty generous. I received nothing in my first two years because I had a pretty good income and savings, but I received nearly 16k in my last year and am also expecting to win some academic scholarships on top of that. For a full list of what is available every year for law students exclusivley: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LitGCfjEgDnao_PgjG0GhceSgqkXEPFQm3mdtWi1Iso/view#gid=0

• Like 1

Ribbons
  • Law Student

From my experience the scholarship program is exceptional. I have received $30,000 in scholarship (10k entrance, 20k in 2L). I haven't had the need to apply for bursaries but I know those exist as well.

• 1 month later...
Applicant18
  • Applicant
On 2/4/2023 at 9:53 AM, Lilbb19 said:

Do you have any tips for applying for the financial need-based bursaries, I applied this year and got denied but all of the money shown in my account was from student loans so I don't know why that would have affected my financial need.